Chapter 11 & 12

Chapter 11 - Unexpected Visitor

"Welcome young knight cadets. It is a privilege to have you all here today before us." The five cadets and the senior knights were assembled, standing before the high council awaiting their decision regarding the impending knighthood of the cadets. Alec stood looking around the room to the others, to find that everyone was as equally on edge as he was. The council speaker smiled and after clearing his throat, continued the verdict.

"Upon close evaluation of the circumstances and with careful consideration to all of those involved, we have decided, in general, your knight's status shall not be denied." The group broke out into chorus at the sounds of their achievement. Alec looked around again and saw that the only one not smiling was the Lion. As if understanding what it was that was troubling him, a sudden chill ran down his spine. The speaker raised his hand in the air to call for silence and again spoke.

"But, regrettably, I must inform you that, although it is not our wish to deny anyone knight's status, there are those amongst you that will only be granted status on a probationary basis. Only once certain factors are met shall the title be granted in full." Now Alec understood why Eliza's father chose not to add into the celebration. He must have expected something such as this to happen.

Zelus stepped forward and after receiving permission to speak spoke as respectfully as his anger would allow.

"High speaker, I must ask of you why is it that you decided to postpone our knighthood? Did we not complete the trials?" The councilman stood with an unwavering expression.

"Cadet Zelus, we have gone over the events of your trials as they were viewed through the Eye of Aneira and not once during the footage did it appear as though any of your party managed to make it within the center of the maze and kneel before the altar of Aneira to offer prayer as is the required tradition. However, we are lenient in our decision. As you all managed to make it within the center of the maze and only in your rash behavior, did you fail to enter the center and pray at the shrine. It is on these grounds, we have concluded that although you did not succeed in completing the trial we set before you, you did not entirely fail. We propose you undertake a simpler task, to prove your worth."

"With all respect, High Councilman, Imperius, the only reason we did not make it to the altar was because we tended to our wounded and we were pulled from the labyrinth by a medical team."

"Yes, and this is a further reason as to why we have decided not to fail everyone." Zelus's anger was beginning to grow more apparent.

"But you intend to fail some of us?"

"Cadet Zelus, if you wish for everyone in your squad to fail, by all means press on with your argument but, if you would allow me to continue, we have been more generous than you give us credit for." Zelus stepped back in line afraid of jeopardizing the chances of his comrades.

"Thank you, cadet Zelus. As I was saying, there are those among you that proved worthy of your knight's status and will be granted your titles today. The others may take a secondary trial in order to prove themselves to the people of Valoria and as such, earn back their trust." Alec could feel his anger and that of those around him begin to swell at the insults the speaker had begun to let out. Subtly, he placed his hands behind his back and clenched his fists tightly to vent his anger.

"Cadet Dominic, please step forward." Dominic did as he was told. He stepped forward, placed his hands behind his back, and stood tall.

"During your trials you displayed great courage in facing the challenges set before you, specifically the Valdurn. It is the council's unanimous decision to grant you your knight's status from this day forward until such a time as you prove that you are no longer worthy to bear the seals of Sidonis and Aneira and to tend to her flock and spread the teachings of her love."