1. Interview Time

Damn, I missed the alarm, hence the Thahajath prayer and prayed Fajr right before sun set. I need to clean up the room before I go for my morning exercise. Yet, there is this sudden constriction in my heart when I think of the interview. I am without a job for the 3 months since my former employer decided to close the business. Mr.Bain is a lawyer and I have been his personal secretary for the last 5 years since I graduated. At 27, I would like to consider myself an independent woman, but no, not with the baggage I am carrying.

I am an only child from my Pakistani father who married my Lebanese mother. My mother died when I was 14, and after an year my father married my step mother Munira.. A day I still remember being cast off from being family to a mere servant. I was the nanny to my 12 year old Shamila and 10  years old Faiza, my step-sister.. I am the cook most of the time, as Munira has social duties and calls.. And I am in short the helping hand. Which is fine, because I did enjoy doing it.

But what I didn't like or enjoy is the attitude and distance my step-mother and step-sisters manage to bring in between me and my father, and me and the family in general. I was excluded from outings and visiting. I am excluded from family time and events. I am always reminded and re-reminded that I am not part of the family, and my attempts to be part of the family are dismissed.

Though my best friend Anne, always pointed out my looks in particular which is a mix of Pakistani and Lebanese is what drove Munira, Faiza and Shamila to cruelty, but I refused to believe it. To say I am not aware of my looks is a lie. No, I am beautiful even though I only wear a black abaya and light color head scarf to bring little attention as possible. I am 5'7 .My complexion is of my mothers Persian origins. Hair is pitch black. Eyes green but has a tendency to change colors with light. High cheekbones, pointed nose and a slim figure. I know I can stop the traffic with my looks.

I come from a upper middle class family. So money was never a problem until the women in the family decided to make my dad bankrupt with their extravagant expenses. So, now we are in a rented apartment, where I have to pay for my dad for the room I am staying and food I am taking.

 And the phone rang. "Anne whats up girl?"

"Don't you have an interview or something today?" asked Anne. "Yea, at 10.. I have time." I told her looking at the wall clock which shows 8. "Look Zain, I am going to downtown today as Mrs. Cooper wants me run few chores for her. I might be able to drop you at the Boulevard towers lets say if you'd be ready in the next 30 mins"

Right. It won't take me long to dress. I wear no make up except for my lip balm and an eye pencil. May be some touch of powde to get the finishing look. It will not take more than 15 mins as I only wear abaya.

"Sure thing. I'll wait for your call". with that I rushed to dress. To make an exception today I decided to wear a black shawl today. If someone decided to hire me, it is for my brains and not for looks. As I heard Mr.Stuart John , CEO of JM Holding, a billionaire play boy who practically not only run his company but apparently most of the governments well. I did my research prior to the interview.  This man is rich, conceited, arrogant, rude, date Hollywood celebrities and models and has the Midas touch. Somewhere I felt it is unlikely I will get this job as I am not a mini skirt and blouse girl. Yet, I never fail to pray salathul Isthikara before I leave. One thing that always stands firm in any adversity is my faith. I stood firmly on my faith when Munira only gave me cast off clothing, I stood firm when my late mothers possessions where sold or used by Munira and her girls, I stood firm when she strike me , few times it may be. And I stood firm even now when she makes cutting remarks.

And the phone rang, and Anne.. I was with her in 2 minutes. And she gave me a bear hug as always. "why Zain, I can see you are about to slay some boys today". That got me laughing. "Seriously Anne. Only you could say things like that. I made sure I look like a nun. Don't want to take chances with play boy millionaire".