07

As Callie settled into the seat beside Jax, she noticed the smirk on his face. Ignoring the rest of the team talking she turned to him, narrowing her eyes.

"What?"

"You might want to rub off that bit of Sara's lipstick on your face before anyone notices," Jax said, reaching over and rubbing the mark off the side of her mouth.

Callie was silent, there was nothing she knew to say. Well, maybe one thing.

"Jax, shut up or I'll cut your eyeballs out and feed them to you."

//.///

"Height of the American Civil War."

Callie sighed as she walked into the bridge slightly late to the legend's group meeting. Sara looked her in the eye for a second before they both diverted their gazes. Jax smirked at Callie as she walked over to stand beside him, earning him a swift elbow in the side.

"It's also the bloodiest year in American history. We gotta watch each other's backs out there," Ray explained to the team, looking at the map that was showing them Mississippi and the Civil War on the screen they surrounded.

"Yes, which is why you will be watching ours from right here," Sara told Ray, not looking up from fidgeting with the board. Callie looked over at Ray and saw the hurt on his face but she understood why Sara was doing this to the man. They all knew he wasn't really helpful without his suit at that point in time.

"Huh?"

"If you don't mind, someone has to stay behind as backup," Sara explained, no sympathy in her eyes as she dealt the blow to the millionaire. He furrowed his eyebrows as he looked at the team in sadness. "And if it helps, Callie, you'll also be staying behind to keep him company."

The raven haired girl's eyes shot straight to Sara to see the blonde internally pleading with her to not challenge her in front of the team. Callie knew there was no rational thoughts behind the action - the blonde certainly had their kiss on her mind as she made the decision - but she chose not to cause a fuss about it. If Sara wanted to pretend nothing had happened between them, then so be it. And maybe Sara was being rational; who knew what Callie's bloodlust was caused by.

_____

"Along with comms devices, I also packed sacked lunches. I figured the food in 1863 is pretty lousy," Ray joked, holding up the tinfoil bags as the team began to move out. Callie smiled at him, knowing that he was trying his best and took the bag he had made for the two of them to share while the rest of the team was out on the field.

Callie looked over at them all, scoffing as she saw the ridiculous outfits they were wearing to try and fit into 1863. She nudged Ray in the side just as Sara started speaking.

"Hey, at least we don't look stupid," she joked, causing the billionaire to shoot her a smile of gratitude for trying to cheer him up even though he had just been benched.

"All right, the operation is simple. We isolate the target, we eliminate the timeship, and we get out of there. And all while wearing this dress," Sara stated, casting a hateful look at the dress that donned her body. Callie scoffed, causing Sara to shoot her an apology look for benching her but it was ignored by the youngest Merlyn. The team all breathed in the tension for a second - only Jax really understanding why they were being so strange with each other - before Ray chipped in again.

"Come back safe!" He yelled as they all exited the ship. Callie and Ray remained silent as they headed back to the bridge, the billionaire still very scared of the dark-haired assassin even though she looked like any twenty-something year-old from back home, dressed in her ripped jeans, denim jacket and vans.