28

"All I have to do is think it, and he slits his own throat," the man warned them all, pointing to the device that Callie had placed to his head only hours prior.

"Ultimatum time. Deliver the fragment to me by dawn, or I'll come back with an army just as obedient as Arthur here. Choice is yours... Camelot... or the Spear."

//.//

"How do you know this Black Knight? And why has one of your new teammates joined him?" Courtney asked Amaya as they walked slowly around the table, trying to ignore the bodies that were littering the ground from the fight before. Amaya sighed, looking at one of the fallen knights as they neared Sara.

"His name's Damien Darhk. He works with the speedster who turned Rip Hunter against the JSA," she said softly, allowing the information to sink in for Courtney. The girl furrowed her eyebrows, knowing what this mission now truly meant to Amaya. Her and Courtney had been close to Rex, and both knew that this speedster was his killer.

"Well, Rip's not the only one under their control now," Sara spat bitterly as she rose to her feet and interrupted their conversation. "Not only does he have Arthur and half his men under his control, Callie has also been brainwashed like Rip," the girl snarled, anger filling her chest as she thought back to the way Callie had looked straight through her as if they were nothing more than strangers.

"That thing's dark magic has turned my king... my own husband into my enemy," Genevieve moaned, a sorrow in her tone as she turned Sara's attention away from Amaya and Courtney.

"It's not his fault," she said, knowing exactly what it felt like to not truly be in control of his actions.

"And yet I watched him strike down Sir Galahad with my own eyes," Genevieve almost argued back, unsure of what she truly was witnessing in the court.

"You have to believe that your husband can be saved, or else he will be truly lost. Unless we stop the Black Knight's army, we may never find out," Sara tried to reside with the woman and keep her positive, but not with much luck.

"My Queen, you must be strong. With King Arthur missing, the Knights of the Round Table will look to you to lead them," Courtney told her, a soft smile on her face as she was also hurting from the disappearance of Arthur. He was the man that she had grown to fall in love with since crafting her fragment of the spear into the sword in the stone.

"The mantle of king is Arthur's. Not mine," Genevieve reminded them, not being able to hold herself to that high a standard.

"Guinevere, wait," Sara said, lightly grabbing the woman's wrist as she tried to walk away from them. "Look, sometimes the mantle... it just falls into your lap. Trust me. I know that it's hard. You're clever, you're brave, and you are a natural born commander. I know you can do this!"

There was a pause between them before Genevieve's eyes and tone softened as she looked at Sara with sympathy in her eyes.

"You knew her," she stared, no hesitation in her voice.

"Sorry?" Sara asked, knowing who she was referring to but being completely caught off guard at the suddenness of the statement.

"His acquaintance. I saw the way you all looked at her; the way you looked at her. It's the way Merlin looks at Arthur," she said, the last sentence quieter than the rest as her eyes drifted to where Courtney was standing with Amaya.

"She was our teammate," Sara spoke cautiously, not wanting to just reveal her whole life to Genevieve. Even if she was just a historical figure they would never really see again after this, she was still technically a stranger to them all.