Chapter 23

Soundtrack for this chapter:
Praying—Kesha
Every Little Thing—Carly Pearce
I'm Not The Girl—Rachel Farris

23

Jules

A soft knock on my door pulled my attention from the mess that was my postponed meeting with my attorney.

Instinctively, my fingers moved to wipe away the tears I assumed would be there, but there were none.

Drawing back the door revealed Kathleen's bright and cheery face once again.

"Good morning, Mrs. Buchan—"

I held up a hand to stop her. "Please, just Jules."

With her ever-present smile she continued, "Your mother is requesting your presence at breakfast."

"Well, I decline her request."

"Mrs—Jules, you must be hungry without dinner last night."

My stomach was feeling quite empty, but I couldn't do it. I didn't want to face any of them again. It was bad enough I was going to have to put on a smile for the party that evening.

"I appreciate your concern, but maybe just a cup of chamomile tea?"

"Sure thing. What shall I tell your mother?"

"That I'm not feeling well and am reserving my energy for the party tonight."

She gave me a sympathetic nod and turned out of the room.

Once left alone again, I pulled back the curtains and stood in the spot where the sunlight was coming through the strongest. It was warm, and the Savannah sun melted the goosebumps that had risen on my skin. If I had to name something I missed, it was the plentiful sunshine and warmth of the south. With my body leaned up against the window frame, I peered out to get lost in the sight of the gardens, still somewhat green with life, unlike the decaying landscapes I left back in Boston.

Theo.

But I didn't have much time to think of him; he was ripped from my mind with a second knock on the door. Turning towards it, I outstretched my hand to pull it open, anticipating the steaming cup of tea that would hopefully calm my senses, but it popped open by another's doing.

"Jules?"

His was the last voice I wanted replaying in my head. Will pushed the door the rest of the way open and sauntered into the room.

"I ran into your parents' newest housekeeper just as I was coming in the door. She said this was for you." He held the tea, contained in the most precious gold-rimmed China mother owned, out towards me.

"Yeah, thanks." I took the cup from him and retreated to the edge of the bed to take a seat. Will looked more relaxed that morning. His jeans sat snug on his hips, and his sweater looked just one size too big; he looked like the Will I fell in love with.

"Here's your dress for tonight." He moved towards the wardrobe, unwrapped the folded dress from his arm, and set the hanger on the edge of one of the doors. "Your mother said she has someone coming over to fix up your hair and makeup."

I scoffed, unable to hold back any longer. "I can do my own hair and makeup."

"It's better not to fight her, dear."

For the first time in over a year, Will's voice held something other than malice and condescension as he spoke to me; he sounded...defeated. When he sat next to me on the bed, I didn't feel the need to immediately jump to standing.