❁Chapter 22❁

Chapter 22

It was a sudden realisation that had her awake in bed beside James all night. Her hand tightly clutched in his own and his arms wrapped around her so tightly that made her feel so content and loved, but something was in the back of her mind - something she simply couldn't let slide.

It shocked her, you see because she was in love with a boy so perfect that she never thought anything other than that thought would occupy her mind. But then, she thought of the year previous...of her happiness and her friends and her love for everyone she knew.

And that's when it hit her.

She needed to talk to someone, and for a while, as she stayed with her eyes wide open just cuddling...she realised that the boy with her would be the best person to tell. He never judged her once, never would think anything wrong and he trusted her with all of her heart.

It was so late, though, and she knew if she woke him then he would be quick to sit up and listen to every word she spoke because he loved her - and he would love her for the rest of his life if given the possibility, and that's why she was so sure that he was the one to tell.

So, she nudged him, and her voice was quiet as she whispered softly, "...James?"

And with a groan, he shifted - fidgeting beside her until his arms were wrapped tightly around her and he was shielding her just in case she was possibly hurt, "what's wrong...baby, are you alright?"

She laughed softly, it was quiet, but it was there, and he was so clearly groggy, "I'm alright...I just, I can't sleep. I need to tell you something."

He frowned, though he was quick to sit up and even pulled her into his lap just, so she would be comfortable. His lips brushed her temple, hand tangled in her dark brown hair and she nestled into him, wrapping their blanket around him in her Hufflepuff dormitory.

"I love you with all of my heart," she whispered, voice as quiet as it usually was, and she felt his lips tug against her temple, "I...I love you more than I thought even possible and I want to spend all of my time with you, that's just...it's just how I feel but I - well I've realised something."

"You can tell me anything, baby girl, you know that right?" he asked, brushing the tips of his fingers down her arm slowly and she nodded silently.

"That's why I'm telling you," she said, hands resting in her lap which she found very interesting, "because I know...well I know you wouldn't judge me and you trust me.

And it's not a bad thing, it's not and it never will be but I just - I don't think it's something you're supposed to realise when you're already in love with someone," she let out the softest laugh and he smiled.

"I just...I realised that, well, if-if we weren't together," she took a deep breath, "if we...if somehow last year we didn't end up together then I think it would've been very easy for me to have feelings for Violet."

James' eyes widened. He wasn't entirely sure what he was expecting but it certainly wasn't that, "oh-"

"And now you hate me, oh Merlin-"

"Bea! Bea -" he cut himself off when she went to push herself off of him and instead trapped her in his arms, burying his head between her head and shoulder and kissing the skin of her neck softly, "I could never hate you, and I don't. I just...I didn't have any clue what to say - but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing because it's not.

And you realising this at all is better than keeping it to yourself. You have no idea how proud I am of you baby, I'm so proud of you - and that pride is growing by the second."