Chapter 13: A place to stay

while Björn rushed to the great hall to see his mother and his brothers, Hvitserk had decided to stay with Bjarke for a little longer. Bjarke felt like she could reunite with Lagertha some other time (she had to keep her secret) and did not want to go to the great hall. So when she parted from the group Hvitserk had followed her instead of Björn.

They'd just been wandering around Kattegat. Bjarke didn't really have anywhere to go. No matter how keen she'd grown on Floki and Helga, with the foreign girl in their home there would be no more space for her.

"Bjarke, if you're looking for a place to stay I might know something," Hvitserk said.

He told her all about the hunting cabin. "It'll be perfect for you. It's away from the people and yet close to me," Hvitserk smiled.

Bjarke rolled her eyes at him but did follow. He showed her the cabin and Bjarke couldn't help but love it. It wasn't much, but it was something. For now, it was perfect.

"My brothers might show up here someday though," Hvitserk said.

"I don't care about your brothers showing up," Bjarke had said before she'd placed her lips on his.

Hvitserk smiled. "You are so going to regret saying that..."

---

"Who are you?!" Ivar the Boneless shouted at Bjarke. He tried to attack her, but Bjarke was quicker.

"Don't you remember, Ivar. This is Hvitserk's woman," the eldest, Ubbe, said.

"I am nobody's woman!"

"Hvitserk's woman? Oh, that is lovely. Now Margrethe can be all yours," Ivar said. He earned an angry glare from his other brother, Sigurd.

Sigurd left immediately. He most likely couldn't stand his brothers right now and Bjarke did not Blame him. She'd feel the same way.

Ivar and Ubbe stayed, which made Bjarke feel slightly uncomfortable. Ubbe just sat down and relaxed. He did not feel like putting pressure on Bjarke as he had spoken to her before. Ivar had seen her and spoken to her as well, he just hadn't expected her to stick around.

As Ivar interrogated Bjarke with questions and Ubbe tried to defend Bjarke the two brothers had not noticed that Hvitserk had entered the cabin.

Bjarke could not hold back the smile that appeared on her face as Hvitserk said: "I guess this means you don't hate her." He made both of his brothers jump.

He could've made a hundred comments about that, but instead, he just passed them to kiss Bjarke.

"You must really love her then," Ubbe said having noticed his brother's ignorance as well.

---

People were coming to Kattegat in order to form the army that was going to avenge Ragnar.

Bjarke was exited. It was going to be the first real battle she'd fight and she couldn't wait.

"You do know there is a chance you die out there, right?" Hvitserk said.

"The day I'm going to die has already been decided by the Norns. There's nothing I can do about that, so I might as well live until that day," Bjarke said before she kissed his cheek. She then continued by saying: "I hope I die in battle one day. We don't have Iduna's apples so otherwise, I'd die of old age. I don't want to die of age, all alone because you've already died on the battlefield."

"Oh, Bjarke. One day I will be king and then you don't have to worry about such things," Hvitserk said.

"Who said I'm worried?"

Hvitserk stopped walking and laughed. He then pulled her closer and kissed her. "I love you," he said.

Bjarke smiled and to annoy him she then pointed out Ubbe, who was watching them.

Hvitserk ran towards his brother and happily greeted him. Bjarke soon followed.

"People from Norway, Sweden, even Denmark. All to avenge Ragnar. Never before in memory has it happened," Bjarke said.

The brothers smiled at her.

"Ivar wants to lead the army," Ubbe told his brother.

"What? Are you serious?"

"He just told me. He thinks our father chose him."

"It's not right," Hvitserk said. "Björn should lead the army."

"I agree, Björn should be leader," Ubbe said.

"Then it's settled," Hvitserk said. He turned around to walk away, but Bjarke stopped him.

"I think you should stop arguing about who is going to be the leader. You've all got your own ups and downs. None of you is stronger than another. I think you should use your head instead of your- never mind. Anyway, you're stronger together. Why have one person decide when you could have six great minds working together."

"Six? I only count five brothers, Bjarke," Ubbe said.

"Yes, but you have to add me to the list as well. You're going to need me," she answered.

Bjarke knew that when things went the wrong way her being part Saxon could save a lot of lives.

"You? But you're just a girl?"

"Don't underestimate her, brother. She's smarter than all of us together," Hvitserk said.

"I'm glad we agree on that, my love."