Chapter 22: The Departed

Bjarke did not go to Sigurd's funeral. She felt like he did not deserve her presence. However, she did meet the leftover brothers in the tent straight after.

"I know what you're all thinking," Ivar said.

Bjarke sighed. Of course. Wasn't it obvious?

"But it is not true. I didn't mean to kill him. He made me kill him. He taunted me, he made fun of me. What was I supposed to do?" Ivar said.

Bjarke scoffed. "Your excuse sucks. He tried to rape me. That didn't give me a reason to kill him, did it?"

Ivar avoided eye contact with her.

"What kind of a man taunts and tells lies about his own brother?" Ivar said.

"And what lies did he tell?" Hvitserk asked.

"Well, you know that as well as I do, Hvitserk."

"He said you weren't a real man," Ubbe said.

There was a moment of silence.

"And what would you've done if he had said that to you, Ubbe? What would you have done if you were 'a real man'?"

No one really knew what to say.

Bjarke didn't know whether or not to be angry. She felt relief as well.

"I swear to the gods and everything that is sacred that I never meant to kill him. Anger overcame me."

Bjarke couldn't listen to this anymore, so she got up and left.

---

"Floki, is that a one-man boat?" Bjarke asked.

"Indeed it is, young Bjarke."

"Where are you going to sail it?" she asked as she examined the base. However, she already knew the answer.

"To wherever to gods will take me."

Bjarke knew that Floki was no longer Floki. The last part of what was him had died with his beloved Helga.

"Well, then. I hope they'll finally reward you for your strength and loyalty. You did not deserve what happened to you and everyone around you."

"Thank you, Bjarke."

Sometime later Floki left. Bjarke didn't want him to leave like he'd not be remembered, so she made sure he got a pretty great farewell.

People had gathered along the river and were shouting: "All hail Floki!"

Of course, Bjarke and she Ragnarsson brothers were there too.

---

That night the Ragnarssons were discussing where to go and what to do next. Bjarke didn't feel like talking at that point, so she didn't go.

A little while later, after dark, Hvitserk returned to the tent they shared.

"Well, we're going to York."

Bjarke smiled at him, but she didn't say anything. There was no need to.

Hvitserk kneeled down in front of her.

"Are you alright?"

Bjarke sighed as he grabbed her hands with one hand and cupped her cheek with the other.