Chapter 27: Hvitserkson

"In two full moons?" Lagertha said.

"Did she say anymore? How many ships they have? How many warriors?" Ubbe asked.

So apparently Astrid, who'd been kidnapped by King Harald, had sent them a warning.

"No," the messenger answered. "But I can tell you something. Ivar the Boneless has joined with King Harald."

"Ivar?" Ubbe asked.

"He appeared one day with his ships. He and Harald have feasted together."

Ivar? Ivar meant Hvitserk. Bjarke realized she might finally have the opportunity to meet Hvitserk again.

"And tell me, how is Queen Astrid?" Lagertha asked.

"She is well enough. I did not see her very long. After all, what am I but a simple fisherman?"

"I think now she must regard you as a friend and ally," Lagertha said.

"Perhaps. I have enjoyed serving her."

"See that this man and his crew are well cared for," Lagertha spoke.

The man left and Ubbe was the first one to speak.

"We don't have much time."

"We must decide what to do," Lagertha said.

They probably had no idea that Bjarke was thinking about making a visit to Hvitserk. She had to.

"Whether to wait here for the attack, or choose another place to battle. Ubbe, you will lead our army. Yes. Against my two brothers. Who could ever imagine such a thing? This is going to rip my father's legacy apart."

"More even than that, Ubbe," Lagertha said. "As the seer foretold, it will tear our world apart."

"Now we must all prepare for it," Torvi said. "The days will pass like the wind."

"I will see to our business," Ubbe said, "and I will send word to the jarls."

---

Bjarke was planning on travelling by boat. She'd probably be able to get one of the fishermen to take her to Hvitserk. She didn't really have a choice.

She made sure she had everything she needed with her and then made her way over to the boats.

It didn't take her long to find a young man who was willing to take her. He didn't even hesitate after she'd showed him the gold she'd give him.

"Of course, I will take you there," he had said.

And so Bjarke got onto the boat.

It took a few days to get there, but she immediately recognized some people. Queen Astrid for instance. Before they even got ashore Bjarke could already see King Harald walking up to Astrid, so she made sure her hood covered her face, gave the fisherman the promised gold and waited for Harald to leave.

When he finally did, she walked up to Astrid.

"So, it's Queen Astrid now, is it?" Bjarke said.

When she saw Astrid getting defensive she quickly added: "Don't worry. I'm not here to hurt anyone, nor to spy. I just need to talk to someone."

"Your boyfriend, Hvitserk?"

"Is it that obvious?" Bjarke asked.

"Well, your stomach is bigger than I remember and he hasn't shut up about you. He keeps saying that his only condition is that you are safe, no matter the outcome," Astrid said.

"Can you take me to him?" Bjarke asked,

Astrid sighed.

"Well, us girls gotta stick together, right," she smiled.

Astrid took her into a building which was on the outside of the town.

"Wait here, I'll go get him," she said.

In a few minutes time, someone entered the place.

"Bjarke? Is that you?"

"Hvitserk!"

She ran towards him and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Bjarke, what are you doing here?" Hvitserk asked right before he kissed her. 

"I'm with child, Hvitserk," Bjarke answered right after.

Hvitserk didn't say anything. Instead, he just dropped to his knees and kissed her stomach.

"You should stay, Bjarke."

"I can't," she said.

"Why not? I can protect you! Ivar won't touch you, I promise."

"It's not that, Hvitserk. I made the same kind of deal with Lagertha as you did with Harald and Ivar. I need to get back."

"Just stay a little longer. Tell them you're spying on us, I don't care. Anything. Please just stay with me. Don't leave me," he whispered.

Bjarke held his hand.

"Alright then. A few days won't hurt."

Hvitserk smiled.

"My Bjarke, carrying my child," he said.

"I think it's a boy," Bjarke smiled.

"Hvitserkson."