Chapter 25: Staying or leaving.

"Look at you! Trying to sneak away to avoid your shame!" Ivar shouted. "Surely you must be embarrassed that nobody else is with you!"

Bjarke was furious. She didn't even want to stay with Ivar any longer. She'd go home. To Kattegat. To Lagertha.

"Now, why is that? I can't understand it, can you?"

Bjarke could see the doubt on Hvitserk's face.

"Ubbe! Nobody's with you! Everyone is with me!"

"Let's go," Ubbe said.

They should've left earlier. Bjarke only realized it now. Ivar had played a dirty game. They were losing Hvitserk.

Bjarke knew Hvitserk could not handle the shame.

He exchanged glances with Ubbe, made up his mind and then jumped off the boat.

Bjarke's eyes widened in disbelief.

"I understand, Bjarke. This is your choice. I don't blame you for going after him," Ubbe said.

But Bjarke knew she didn't really have a choice. She had to ensure Hvitserk's safety. She had to make sure that he'd be safe, whatever happened. So she stayed on the boat.

---

You're more than ever welcomed back to our heart, Ubbe and Bjarke," Lagertha said.

Margrethe got up and left as Lagertha sat down in her chair instead.

"We've all heard of the successes of our great army. How you revenged Ragnar's death, overcame both Ælla and Ecbert. I thank my own son, but also you two and all the sons of Ragnar for these immortal events."

"Then you must've heard of Sigurd's death at the hands of Ivar. And his challenge to Björn that he was the leader of the great army," Ubbe said.

Bjarke exchanged glances with Torvi.

"I want to reassure you both that Björn Ironside behaved himself throughout with great honour and courage. I love and admire him as a brother," Ubbe spoke.

"Thank you for your words about Björn. He's a good man. I know that," Torvi said.

"But Ivar is a different story," Bjarke said.

"He tore us apart," Ubbe said. "As far as I'm concerned I'm now at war with Ivar."

There was a moment of silence. Bjarke saw the impending storm coming from miles away.

"My brother Hvitserk, he has decided with Ivar. So he is now my enemy."

Bjarke looked away. She felt her heart ache. She still loved Hvitserk, no matter what side he had chosen.

"Let us make a pact. I will support you against Ivar and Hvitserk if you agree to support me against King Harald," Lagertha said.

"You see, that would make me an ally of my mother's killer."

"Mmm. I know. Your choices are all difficult, Ubbe. But for the sake of the good folk of Kattegat, can we not be allies."

"Skol," Ubbe and Lagertha then both said.

---

"I had hoped that Björn would return," Torvi said.

"He will come back," Lagertha answered.

"I know he will. But until then, don't put all your trust in Ubbe."

"Why do you say that?" Lagertha asked.

"It's just that after you, Björn should rule Kattegat."

"Who knows what the gods have in store for us."

Bjarke smiled at Torvi as she left and then turned to Lagertha.

"I need a favour," Bjarke said.

"You've done your work very well, Bjarke. You've given me all the information I need. All the details that Ubbe left out. I think you deserve one."

"Please make sure Hvitserk lives," Bjarke quickly said.

Lagertha frowned.

"Now why would you ask me to do that? Are you truly in love with him?"

"I am, Lagertha. But it's not just that. If it were just that I might still be able to accept the consequences."

"Then what is it?" Lagertha asked while moving closer to Bjarke.

"I think I'm pregnant. And if so, then the baby is his. I will not let him die if I can help it," Bjarke said.

Lagertha smiled.

"Well, first of all, congratulations. Second of all, of course. I understand. But for now, is there anything else I should know?" Lagertha said.

Bjarke swallowed.

She'd forgotten about it, but now she was wondering whether or not Lagertha might have the answer.

"When we were in England, I was wounded. However, a few days later-"

"Your wounds were gone," Lagertha finished.

Bjarke looked at her and saw that she was smiling.

"Well, congratulations on figuring that out, Bjarke."

"Lagertha, do you know why this happened to me?"

"I do. As a matter of fact, Bjarke, you inherited that from your mother. She was also like you. You're like the seer, but different. The seer can see things. You show your powers in a different way."

"So you're telling me I'm a witch," Bjarke laughed.

"Yes and no. You have the powers of a witch, yes, but that doesn't mean that it's a bad thing, Bjarke."

"But then why didn't my wounds heal that fast earlier?"

"As a child, you never really got hurt that bad. Yes, you fell sometimes, but your bruises would never show because they'd heal too fast," Lagertha explained.

"And what about that time when Sigurd attacked me. When I fell onto my knife. That wound didn't heal."

"Well," Lagertha said. "That might be because you didn't let it."

"What do you mean I didn't let it?"

"You were emotionally hurt as well. That's probably what influenced the time it took for you to heal."

"Lagertha, I do not want this. I'm not a witch. I never asked for it."

"And yet you received it. The gods somehow favoured you. They might favour your child too. So accept it. Learn how to use it. One day you might be able to help your baby out with it," Lagertha said.

Without realizing it Bjarke rested her hand on her stomach.

"One day."