Chapter 21: The day prince and king died

Bjarke wasn't there when the Vikings and King Ecbert settled the agreement. She'd been with Floki the entire time. Floki had eventually asked her to leave him. He had said that he wanted some time to think about what his future was going to be like. What he would do.

Bjarke'd understood, so she'd left.

Bjarke had been roaming around for a while until she ran into Björn.

"Björn? Where are you going?" she asked.

"I'm going to get King Ecbert."

"He's really going to die now, isn't he?"

"Yes, Bjarke, he is," Björn said. "But I cannot imagine you having difficulties with that. Not apart from... Ow."

"Can I do it?" she asked Björn.

"Yes, you can. I understand. But, don't make it any harder than it has to be, Bjarke," he said while patting her on the back.

"Thank you."

She made her way towards Ecbert and sighed.

"While we make our way to my bathing room, I'd like to tell you something," Ecbert said.

"Fire away."

The slowly walked towards the room and while they did so Ecbert told her some things about her father.

"Eventually, he did send word back. His parents had already shut him out completely, but I had not. I was willing to listen to his stories. He did so several times. The last one was about the fact that his wife was pregnant and nearly due. Unless you have any unknown brothers or sisters, I suppose that was you," Ecbert said.

Bjarke smiled. Hearing the stories of her father made her happy. She felt like she finally understood something about herself. These were the stories that other people would never be able to tell her.

"Your father was so proud. He already loved you with all his heart and you had not even been born yet."

"I wish I could've known him," Bjarke said.

Ecbert smiled.

"I wish I'd met you earlier. I could've told you many more things about your family. My family. However, my time has been cut short," he said when they reached the bathing room.

They awkwardly entered it. Bjarke firmly held the two blades from which Ecbert got to choose in her hands. She held them out to him and Ecbert chose the shortest one.

"Thank you," Ecbert said, knowing he was about to die.

"Thank you for telling me about my father. I will forever be thankful for that," Bjarke said.

Ecbert smiled. "You should leave. My time is up."

Bjarke hesitated for a moment and then turned around to walk away.

---

Bjarke waited an hour until entering the room again. She had to see. She had to say goodbye to the only part that truly remained of her father.

There he was. He'd cut his wrists and bled out in the large bath.

Bjarke kneeled down next to the body and let her fingers go through the red coloured water.

"Someday when I reach the end of my life, I will know that you're one of it's most beautiful chapters," Bjarke whispered. She didn't know whether she'd said it to her father or to Ecbert (because he'd giver her a memory).