Chapter 1: A hidden hope

Under cover of darkness, a dark shadow, unnoticed by all, slipped silently up the wall of the East tower. Unhurried, but worried of what would happen if he were caught, the Raphilim slipped silently through a window, his point of access to the royal chambers, and his assigned targets, the royal family of Dawn.

The King and the Queen were of highest priority. He was to only bother with the princess if he found her easily, as she was not yet a major threat to the plan, and did not have to be dealt with at this time. The King and Queen were in the royal bedchamber when the dark shadow crept through the door. The princess was not, so as he hurried out of the room, knowing that he must leave the capitol by morning, he left the adventurous two year old alone, unfound as she crawled curiously through the corridors of the castle, having escaped the room by way of a servant, who left the door open when collecting the king's laundry.

No one noticed as he entered the room. No one noticed the blade sliding silently from its sheath, nor the liquid that dripped off the tip, black as night. The carpet sizzled where it landed. Veranos it was called, or deathbringer in the common tongue. And rightfully so. One drop was all that was needed. First on the king, then the queen.

Barely had the shadow turned to leave before the queen's skin began darkening in color. First black, then, once the victim's life was gone, it faded into a deathly white.

The assassin slipped silently into a boat and rowed away, satisfied that his payment would be soon forthcoming.

The squire Tarvill was the first to learn of the horrible deed. As the king's Esquire, one of his duties was to deliver King Petra's breakfast to his bedside and to rouse the King if necessary. As he observed the ashen grey complexio of the King, and the queen lying still on the floor nearby, Tarvill knew that  breakfast could wait. Turning on his heels, he dropped the tray in his hurry to get the medical attention that the king desperately needed.

But it was too late, and the king knew this.

'I can no longer save myself. In no more than a few minutes time, my body will be no more than an empty shell, cold and still. No their is no saving myself. But there is still hope, still a chance, still a way to keep Dawn out of the hands of the traitors who would use it for ill purposes. She is our last chance.

But she will need raised, protected, trained in the ways of the crown. There is only one I trust with such a lofty task.'

Tarvill was halfway down the corridor when the king called, and nearly tripped over the returning princess in his hurry to return to his master's bedside.

"Tarvill, hear my words." King Petra's voice was still strong and powerful as it rolled across the chamber, and the sound of it jerked him to attention.

"My lord and king, your word is my command." this was the required response to the king's order, any other was considered treason and would be punishable by removal from office.

"Heed my last commands, and follow them carefully. No medicine can heal me now, and it is only a matter of time before I return to the dust from whence I came. But do not lose hope, for there is still a chance for us yet. I see with my own eyes that my daughter is still alive. You must take her Tarvill, take her and keep her hidden from the Edmund's grasp. Train her in all that you know, yet keep her identity hidden from her until she comes of age. Then aid her in whatever she does. There is no one around whom I can trust, so I will follow the code of tradition. Lord Reuben shall be my heir and steward. He shall be charged to watch over this land until the princess Estrella shall come of age and receive the crown.

Watch Reuben carefully, however, for he and indeed all in my council show signs of treachery and deceit." So saying, King Petra feel silent, slipping into a deep sleep from which he would never awake.

The royal bedside was crowded, as all the nobles of the city and surrounding area had come to pay their last respects to the royal couple. Everyone who could reach the castle by noon had arrived, and more were coming by the hour. They all wished to say their goodbyes to their rulers as well as wanting to witness the selection and crowning of the royal steward.

Each of these men and women had shown great service to the king, and each held a hope that the crown of the stars would soon be theirs. This crown would be worn by the steward for the next fourteen years, signifying their authority to rule the kingdom until the princess should come of age.

One man in particular stood out from amongst the crowd. Lord Reuben of the house of the sun. He was a broad-shouldered man with well-defined muscle and a rather tan complexion. He was known for deeds of honor and valor, and so he became high general and royal champion to King Petra.

Tradition dictated that if none other was chosen by the time of the king's death, the crown would pass on to him. The house of the Sun had united the kingdom, and he was their highest living official. This made is his right to rule, if no better heir was found.

As a lone horse with two riders galloped out of the city, a crown was settled on the head of a new steward. And as a lone messenger left the city by a different road, Lord Reuben smiled at the message it contained. He had succeeded at his plan, and his father would be happy. The kingdom would belong to his line forever, once he put the rest of his plan into action.