Chapter 15: Hope in the Shadows

"Who was that man who tried to kill me earlier?" The man didn't even know who he was, or what he was supposed to be doing, only that he must find someone, someone of importance, and he must help her. What he was to do when he found them, he didn't know. Why he was to find them, time would tell. But how was he to find someone when he couldn't even remember their name?

"A girl, possibly a woman, of importance. I must help her!" The man's mutters whispered through the chamber as he went to stand. But strong hands on his shoulders stopped him.

"You must get back in bed Sir, you are still weakened and injured. But you are improving. Your breathing has improved, although sadly there is little to no chance of you regaining your sight."

"Good sir, I thank you for your concern, but I see no point in staying..."

"That's because you see nothing at all. How do you expect to find your way out there without your sense of sight."

"If you will not let me go, then I am forced to insist." Something inside his mind told the man that this command would be followed. "Find me a horse, or something fast. I will start my search in the capitol, if you would be so kind as to point me in the right direction."

"Very well. If you insist, we have no right to keep you here. But I cannot let you go alone. That would be too dangerous for you. Brightscale will accompany you." This last declaration was followed by a voice speaking in a language he didn't understand.

"Very well. If you insist, I will bring Brightscale with me. Now where is my horse?"

"Horse?!? Do you not understand? Brightscale is a dragon. You will be riding her."

"Riding a dragon... come to think of it, I have done that before. Now, before I leave, who tried to kill me earlier?"

"Lord Reuben did, he seems to have something against you."

"Lord Reuben. Isn't he like king or something? I'll try to stay out of his way, but I really need to find this girl. I feel that I won't get the thought out of my mind until I do."

"As you wish good sir." Taking his charge's hand, the gnome pulled him up and helped him mount Brightscale.
"Now off to the capital you two, and try to stay out of trouble!"

Brightscale was off like a shot, running through the cramped maze of tunnels until she reached open air. Her passenger simply hung on for dear life. But as Brightscale took off into the sky, his old skill came back to him and he sat proudly on his dragon's back, keeping his balance with a practiced ease. He sat low on Brightscale's back, stretched out low over her neck to allow her to go faster.

"I had forgotten how fun this was." He said to no one in particular. A melodious voice rang through the sky. "I hear Dragonspeech, although I can not understand it."

As they raced through the sky to the west, neither companion was aware that they had been spotted by one of the royal scouts, that their every movement was being watched. They were flying fast and low, not attempting to hide themselves in any way. It would have been nearly impossible not to spot them.

"My Lord, a dragon and rider are heading this way. Should I order the archers to shoot them down? Or should we let them pass?"

"Bring them to me, alive if possible. We will see what their business is."

Even though the mysterious rider could not understand Dragonspeech, there is one sound that once heard, it is impossible to forget. It is a cry of battle, only sounded by a dragon under attack. Not even stopping to ponder who would be attacking them or why, he grabbed the safety straps on the side of Brightscale's neck and hung on tight. Suddenly they banked sharply to the left, and he heard the volley of arrows whistle by, nearly hitting them.

"Brightscale, if you can understand what I say, then pay attention. We must find a safe place to land."

He felt the shift in his dragon's weight as they immediately dived, rocketing at full speed towards the ground. They pulled up at the last second, gliding to the ground in an impressive, but rather undignified fashion. "Are we safe here?"

"You are safe here if you are a friend of the kingdom. Get off the dragon, leave your weapons, and follow me."

The man climbed off the dragon, dropping his sword on the ground as he did. "I will come with you, but before I do, I demand an explanation. Who are you, and why am I under arrest?"