Chapter 22: Night falls on Dawn

"Hurry, we need to get you out of here."

"Reuben?" It was his voice. But what would he be doing here? There was a whisper of metal on leather, then a clang, then a scraping noise.

"If you're trying to pick the lock with your dagger, you should realize that it's not likely to work."

"Now I do. I didn't before." He stuck his knife back into its sheath. "But we need to get you out before dawn. They're planning to execute you at dawn."

"Then I will die as I would have lived, protecting Estrella, the true queen of Dawn."

"No" Reuben's voice was sharper than the edge of his knife. "I will not allow you to die if I can do anything to stop it. Estrella couldn't bear it. She already thinks you're dead, but if she found out that you had been alive only to discover that you were actually dead, it would break her heart. Dawn wouldn't have a queen anymore." He muttered a few words, and I heard the crackle of flames. Then there was a loud creak. The door clanged against something, In my mind, I could see Reuben wincing as I lunged at the doorway. I membered about the chains on my wrists and ankles when they jerked me to the ground mid-leap. I fell to the cold stone floor with a loud clang that I was sure could be heard by everyone in the dungeon. "Well, that didn't quite work."

"No it didn't, and due to your actions, everyone now knows of my presence."
He struck the chain that bound my right wrist. The chain fell to the ground and my wrist, although still bound by an iron cuff, was free to move. I eagerly stretched my arm as he removed the chains from the other cuffs. I was free to move, and I leaped quickly out the door just as heavy footsteps flooded the corridor.

"Stop right there both of you!" The last two words were drowned out by a loud roar as the ground left my feet behind. When the roar subsided, there was a familiar voice. A melodious voice. It was Zephyr. "Hold on. I'm taking you to Estrella."

"What is this creature saying?"

"Creature?!?" The common language sounded rough on Zephyr's tongue, yet he could still pull it off. "If you call me that again --air mage-- you will be left behind in the air. I'm sure you will survive." Suddenly Zephyr yelled "Hang on!" as he launched into a steep dive. I heard a thunderclap right where we were a minute ago. "Well, that was close."

"My father must really want to kill us."

"Well, that's obvious. If he didn't want to kill us, then we'd be back in the castle holding a ball to celebrate a coronation instead of racing around to who knows where on the back of a dragon."

"I know where!" Zephyr spoke up again.

"That's good. If you didn't know where we would really be lost."

"Where are we going anyway? Or are you not going to tell me?"

"I'll tell you. We're going to the forbidden forest."

"Why would we want to go there?"

"To see the winged one of course."

"He means Estrella," I spoke up before Reuben had a chance to voice his confusion. "That's what the dragons call her."

As they flew off towards the rising sun, soldiers were marching out from the castle, ready to reinforce Edmund's orders.

"Attention everyone! From now on there will be a curfew in effect beginning at sunset and ending at sunrise. Anyone caught outside their homes during this time without permission will be punished. Also, anyone caught using the word dawn, or talking about the princess Estrella will be severely punished. Now, line up for taxes. Edmund requires one-third of what you produce to be collected every three months. Any attempts to hide some of what you produce will be discovered and result in severe punishment." Grumbling, the people did as they were told, then went to start their work under the watchful eyes of Edmunds soldiers, who stood or rode at the alert, weapons always at the ready.

"Who gave you permission to tell us what to do?" One man decided he was brave enough to challenge Edmund's new rules. "Whoever it is, they don't deserve to rule!" A soldier cut him off before he could say anything else. He dragged the man in front of the crowd. "Let it be known the new emperor does not tolerate rabble-rousers and rebels!" One quick movement of his sword and the man fell to the ground. He would never again draw breath to say or do anything against the new ruler. "Let him be an example to everyone who dares stand against the will of Edmund."