Chapter 13: Reuben's Treachery

Dedicated to OriginalCindy8. If it wasn't for you, I never would have heard of Wattpad, and I will never forget that. I still remember the day I found out you wrote fan fiction. You mentioned Wattpad in that conversation, and I probably never would have found it without that. You are also an amazing writer, and it makes me proud to be co-writing a book with you.
"The discussion last night was long, my lady, but we have reached a conclusion on all the topics we discussed. Lord Reuben is to stand trial today. General Blackthorn is to stand witness at this trial, and be tried at a later date for his part in the treachery. If you can comfirm your claim to the throne, the council has agreed to hold your coronation in one weeks time. It has also been agreed however, that you should not rule by yourself, but that a regent should rule with you. If you have not selected a regent by the time of your corination, the council will select one for you. I highly suggest that you stop staring at me like that and finish eating princess. You have a long day ahead of you"

Estrella quickly closed her mouth, and began eating the rest of her breakfast. She had expected it to be a lot harder to become the queen. "It seems so simple now," she said between bites of food. "All I have to do is go and draw a sword in front of the royal council. Then, since only the true ruler can hold the Sunblade, I just have to wait a week and the throne will be mine."

"Not quite that simple Estrella, you still have a very important decision to make, because I'm sure that you don't want the council making it for you. You still have to decide who will rule with you for the three years until you turn 16. Now, we must hurry, or we will be late for the trial."

From the outside, the hall of justice looks dark and foreboding, an effect caused by the fact that it is built entirely out of gray stone. It stands westward of the castle, and at this early time of day, the shadow of the castle wall fell fully upon it. The interior of the hall is not nearly as dark, but it still possesses a grim sense of finality, a reflection of the fact that the decisions made in that hall can not be changed or revoked without valid reason.

The trial began as soon as Estrella and Lord Marten entered the hall. "We are gathered here today to pass sentence upon the prisoner Lord Reuben, who has been charged with high treason against the kingdom of Dawn, conspiracy against the royal family thereof, and and conspiracy against the true heir to the throne of Dawn." The Lord Stephen then stepped of the platform, making room for General Blackthorn to step up. "Here, come to bear witness against the crimes of his steward, is Peter Blackthorn, high general of the army of Dawn.

As General Blackthorn stepped onto the platform, the whole room could see the hate in the eyes of Lord Reuben. He knew what General Blackthorn was going to say, and he didn't like it. Knowing this was his only chance, Lord Reuben called on the energy inside him, beginning to mutter secret words which had been banned by King Petra.

"My Lord's and Ladies of the council," Blackthorn began, "Upon my honor, I swear that all I am about to say is true. I have served in the court of Lord Reuben since I was of the proper age to do so. Even before he was crowned Stewardof Dawn, he has been conspiring against the royal family, and the kingdom itself. Two nights before the king and queen were killed, Lord Reuben had a meeting with the assassin who did the dreadful deed. He assigned me to guard the room during the meeting, not knowing that while I stood outside the door, I was writing down everything they said. I have the scroll right here." Reaching into his satchel, General Blackthorn pulled out a scroll and handed it to Lord Marten, who came forward to take it. General Blackthorn then continued his speech. "I have also been sent several times to deliver messages to Emperor Edmund of the night court, a man which Lord Reuben refers to as 'Father.'" General Blackthorn took a breath to say more, but at that moment, Lord Reuben stepped forward.

"As my right of free trial, I now offer my defense" Several guards stepped forward to silence him, but Lord Marten stopped them with a hand gesture.

"Lord Marten claims the right to offer his defense." Lord Reuben said. "I see no reason to silence him." With a wave of his hand, General Blackthorn stepped down and Lord Reuben took the platform.

"People of Dawn, everything you have heard about me so far I cannot deny. It is true that I had a discussion with the man who assassinated the King and Queen, and it is true that I have sent several messages to Emperor Edmund of the Night court, a man whom I do address using the title father. The world is changing, and Dawn still looks to the old ways of living. We embrace a backwards old king who banned magic simply because it changes the balance of power. We look to his daughter to rule, an incompetent young girl who should not even have the right to the throne." Here Reuben motioned towards Estrella. "Do we really want her to rule, or will we turn and embrace the change that is coming upon us. I can offer you a world of peace, where no one will attack you again. A world where all the lands are united under a common ruler. A world where..."

Suddenly Lord Marten stood up. "I think we have heard enough of this treacherous fool. Guards, seize him!!"

As the guards turned to seize Lord Reuben, he suddenly made an abrupt motion with his hands and disappeared into thin air.