Chapter 16: The Lord of Shadows

"My name is of no consequence to you, nor can I offer any explanation as to why you are being summoned, save that my master would like to speak with you."

"If you will not tell me who you are, will you at least tell me who your master is?"

"That will soon become plain. Now will you come willingly, or must I force you to come?"

"I will come willingly. Lead the way."

The dragon rider felt a hand clamp around his wrist, and he came along willingly. They walked a short way, then he was lifted onto a horse and they galloped quickly through the city and out onto the king's highway. If the man could see, he would have realized that they were leaving the kingdom. Ten hours later, Richard pulled the horse to a halt in front of Son Tarvion, an old castle on the coast which had been abandoned decades before, when rising seas proved the land barely habitable. Together with his captor, they ascended the castle steps and entered the great hall. "I would suggest bowing now," his captor's voice hissed in his ear, "unless you would like to be punished for being disrespectful."

The dragon rider hurriedly dropped into a low bow. "My lord, I hear you wished to see me." He greatfully rubbed his wrist as his captor released him.

"You are correct that I wished to see you." Lord Reuben's voice rang out through the hall. "You are one of main reasons that my plan has not yet succeeded. But now you will give me the information I need to make it succeed. Where is the girl, and what is she trying to do?"

"My lord, I don't even know who you are talking about. I too seek a girl, but likely a different one. I also do not know what the girl I seek is doing, just that I need to help her."

"Very well, if you can not find the girl, can you at least tell me where the shield is? If I can find the shield, I might be able to help you find your girl."

"No, I do not know where the shield is, or how to locate it. I also have no clue why I would know this information. I am naught but a clueless blind man your honor. I am not important enough to be entrusted with such information. It would appear that I do not have the knowledge that you seek. I apologize for any inconvenience my ignorance may have caused you."

"That will be all." Lord Reuben clapped his hands, summoning a servant to escort his prisoner out of the castle. "Take this man outside, and leave him there. Give him a week's worth of food and water, and let him find his own way home."

"The servant obeyed, and was quite surprised to see Brightscale sitting outside, apparently waiting for his rider. "Lord Reuben may believe that you are nothing more than a blind pauper, but I do not. A pauper such as that which you claim to be would not have a personal riding dragon such as yours."

"I may very well be more than a pauper, but how would I know that I was when I cannot even remember my own name? But enough of such talk, let us be off."

As Brightscale leapt into the air to return his rider to Dawn, Reuben gathered up his strength and muttered the spell that would take him to his father. He landed directly outside the closed door of Edmund's throne room, and immediately knocked on the door. "Father, I bring news of Dawn."

"Reuben, you must wait, I have a very important visitor here."

"If Reuben has overheard any part of this discussion, then I promise you will regret every word of i.."

The speaker was suddenly cut short as Reuben burst into Edmund's office, drawn sword in hand. "Who are you, and why do you dare threaten my father? You fool, you will pay for this!"

"Foolish boy, what can you hope to do to me?" It was then that Reuben recognized the figure that rose up before him. The creature was humanoid, yet wreathed in ever changing shadows. The eyes that stared at him were not the eyes of a man, but burning, red orbs, the eyes of Malthazar, the lord of shadows himself.

"What are you doing to my father?"

"Nothing without his consent, Lord Reuben" The creature spat out his name as if there were a bad taste to it. "I am simply providing his Highness with power, aiding him in his plans. He has agreed to help me in return."

"Father, is this true? Did you really make a deal with the master of death and destruction?"

"Reuben, you must understand. He offered me great power, and promised to help me succeed. Without his help, my work was doomed to all come to naught. But now, look what I have. A glorious empire soon to be yours my son, if you have succeeded. Loyal subjects who will follow my every command without question. A glittering court that outshines any other. All this and more I will pass onto you one day. You should not question how I got it. Sometimes the price of power is high, but it is alway worth it, no matter the cost"

"I have heard from my messengers about the state of your lands. This empire may be big, but it is far from glorious. Your subjects are loyal, but only because they know they will be dead if they dare even say that there might be a better way. Look at your subjects." Here Reuben strode over to the window and waved his hand out over the city. "They are not happy, nor do they wish to be here. They are oppressed and mistreated, wasting away on the streets because they were forced to pay exorbitantly high taxes. What do you do about this problem? Nothing, except for sit here in your palace sending out soldiers to stop rebellions that could easily be avoided. How is this a glorious empire when its ruled by a man who only cares about power and conquering more land? If this is what you are, then I no longer acknowledge you as my father. Give the throne to Marcus for all I care." Here Reuben turned to leave the room. "One last word before I leave you and hopefully never see you alive again. I hope your heir is a better ruler than you are. If not, then this land is in for a lot of trouble. Long live the king." Reubens last sentence was coated with sarcasm, and as he magically transported himself back to his castle, he could still hear them ringing in his father's ears