Chapter 19: Of Crowns and Dragons

"Your majesty, your majesty, your majesty."

"What!? Stop using my title over and over and tell me what's going on already!" Estrella sits up with a start. Something must need her attention. "You're already late. It's coronation day. The day you become queen, remember?" Estrella is out of bed before her maid has to say anything else. "I can't wait! I'm going to be queen! And it's going to happen today! This is amazing! Snapping open her wings in excitement, she knocks two vases off the table and a picture off the wall. The sound of breaking porcelain quickly brings her mind back to earth. "Oops, I'm sorry. Let me clean that up."

"You need to get ready for tonight's coronation, and the ball that will follow. I'll clean it up."

"Over here, your majesty." Another maid is holding an intricate gown in seafoam green. Its soft color will set off my eyes and hair, and the glass beads on the bodice shine in the light. I'm going to look so grown up tonight. I'm going to look like a queen. "I want to put it on right now. I would suggest not. We would not want to spoil it while waiting for tonight would we?" Hesitantly, I grab a tunic and trousers from the wardrobe and put them on. The dress will have to wait. Slipping them on, I hurry downstairs.

"Your majesty." Lord Marten rises as I join him for breakfast. "I assume you are looking forward to tonight's festivities?"

"You know I am. I'm going to be a queen!! Her royal majesty queen Estrella. I like the sound of that. I'm going to be ruling a kingdom. But that's going to be a lot of work. I'm glad that someone is going to be there to help me."

"Speaking of that, who have you selected to rule with you? I hope you've selected someone.

"I have. As a matter of fact, I have selected you."

Lord Marten was caught slightly off guard by this idea. "Surely there are other people who would do a better job than I would."

"Likely there are. But I know I can trust you. I can't say the same about them. Tarvill told you were trustworthy, and if he were still alive, I would trust him with my life." At the thought of Tarvill, tears began flowing down her cheeks. "Why do I keep bringing him up if it makes me cry so much?"

"Because he's important to you. All of us have people who are important to us. For me it is my father. Reuben, who had been listening to this conversation through the wall, began to wonder what his father was up to.

Edmund peered once more into the foggy haze, straining his eyes to hopefully catch a glimpse of the creature he sought.

He was tired. He had been riding for most of three days in search of his friends, and now his men were grumbling. "I don't care what you think, we need to find them!"

"Find whom? A voice rose out of the water, soon accompanied by a large, scaley head. "Edmund? I thought I said I would kill you next time I saw you."

"If I remember correctly Deaththorn, I said the same. But circumstances have changed since then, and I need your help."

"What can you offer me in return?"

"Listen carefully. I know you want your old hunting grounds back. You also want the pesky Draconus and wyverns out of your territory. What if I told you I could give you that and more? What if I said I could give you all the land from the salmon river to the summit of the fire mountain, and none of the other dragons would even be allowed to set claw there? This could all be yours, but only if you help me."

"The leader of the Reptadrakes smiled at what he heard. We have an agreement."

"All right then. This is what I need you to do."

Estrella stood still, staring at herself in the mirror as her servants adjusted the dress around her. She looked magnificent, mature, queenly.

"If your majesty is ready, its time to go." With a last sigh of contentment, Estrella peeled herself away from the mirror and allowed Lord Marten to lead her to the waiting carriage.

The cathedral of dawn, as always, looked majestic in the setting sun. Her heart pounding, Estrella stepped inside. The crowds roared as she walked with Lord up to the platform, each step bringing her closer to her new role. But, just as the ceremony was about to begin, three long, lithe bodies slipped silently out of the water next to the cathedral. Three heads snaked across the rough grass as Estrella turned to face the crowd. And just as Lord Marten motioned to begin the ceremony, a shriek rang out through the hall. Deathorn had arrived.