Chapter 22

-Kol's POV-

I awoke the next morning with a start. That son of a... He would pay for that. 

I glanced around and noticed Lizzie lying in bed next to me. I smiled. Her brother had snapped my neck, and she choose to stay the night with me, to watch over me. She was so amazing. 

I frowned as the next thought hit me: Why was she friends with me? I was a monster — and I enjoyed it. I reveled in the fact that I could — and often did — kill whole towns in one night. She sometimes joined, and often enjoyed it — until she realized what we had done. Then she was ashamed. 

And now she wanted to stop doing that for good. All I wanted was for her to be happy, but I didn't know what would happen after this big change. Would we still be friends? What if she decided she couldn't be friends with someone like me — who did these things for fun? 

I didn't know what would happen, but I did know that even if it meant losing her, I would do anything to make her happy.

-Elizabeth's POV-

Kol hadn't woken up that night, so I fell asleep next to him. I awoke the next morning, and saw him gazing down at me, a thoughtful look in his eyes and a frown on his face. What could be going through that head of his? 

When he noticed that I was awake, the frown disappeared and was replaced by a smile.

"Hey, Lizzie."

"Hey! You're finally awake!" I exclaimed. He chuckled.

"Yes. And I am going to kill that brother of yours." he said, the frown returning.

I sighed. "Look, Damon is... Damon. I am sure he didn't really mean to snap your neck... Well maybe he did." I changed my mind seeing his glare. "But he did it out of anger and after something — I don't know what — but something, or someone, hurt his feelings. You would have done the same. So, please, don't kill him. I just got him back." I said, ending in a whisper. His glare dropped, and a softness entered his eyes.

"I won't kill him. We can deal with him some other way together." he said. I smiled, and hugged him.

"Thank you." I whispered in his ear.

"Anything for you." he whispered back.

"Well isn't this cozy?" came another voice — a familiar one. I groaned and pulled away.

"One you just had to interrupt..." Kol said, both of us turning to face Klaus. He was leaning in the doorway, smirking at us.

"Well, I was just wondering if my baby brother and his friend would care to join me at the Grille for a drink." Kol smirked, while I frowned.

"I would love too." Kol said, at the same time I said, "No thanks." Kol looked at me and grimaced.

"You sure, sweetheart?" he asked, and I nodded.

"Yeah. I should go home and confront my brother. And see Stefan." I said, and Kol nodded.

"Alright. But I will see you later. I'm coming over today — talk about this... business we have to take care off." Kol said, trying not to include Klaus in our ripper plans. I nodded, and gave him another hug. I could see Klaus glancing at us, confused. I stood up, and grabbed my dress from the floor. I walked past Klaus, purposely avoiding contact with him.

I was just about to open the door when I heard him behind me.

"Elizabeth... we need to talk." Klaus said. I turned to him, a glare on my face.