Chapter 26

-Damon's POV-

Stefan and I were sitting on the couch, commiserating in our guilt and sadness. Elizabeth was right. All we – mostly me – kept doing was hurting her by hurting the Originals. WE needed to think about her feelings about them, when we thought of our plans to get rid of them. Maybe we could just ask them to leave? Be a family elsewhere. I doubted they would go for it, but it was worth a shot...

Suddenly, both of our phones chirped, signaling we both had a new text message. We looked at each other, then each looked at her phone. My jaw dropped when I saw the message.

From: Lizzie

Hey, big brother. I just wanted to let you know that I am leaving town for a little while – I need some time and space to think some things through. Please respect my space, and just let me go. I will return soon. And try not to worry. I love you. ~Lizzie~

I looked over at Stefan, who had the same expression on his face.

“Let me guess. Lizzie.” I stated. He looked at me and nodded. I sighed.

“Well. Do we go after her, go to the Mikalesons, or leave her be?” I asked. Stefan sighed.

“I think it would be best if we just let her go. Hopefully, she will be back. She just needs some space. We should give it to her.” I frowned, but nodded. If that was what Lizzie wanted, she could have it – as long as she forgave me when she came back.

“At least she said 'I love you' at the end...” Stefan said, and I grunted in agreement. I got up, and got a bourbon. Time to drink my worries away...

-Klaus' POV-

After Lizzie had run into the house, I spent a minute glaring at Kol. He shrugged, and grunted “Sorry.” Then he went after Lizzie. I sighed and went into my study. I sat at my desk, replaying the scene in my head. Maybe, finally, Elizabeth would forgive me and we could be together again. I sat there, thinking. It could have been minutes, or even hours. I thought I heard a car start and leave, but I wasn't sure – I was too wrapped up in my thoughts.

All of sudden, Rebekah ran by, tears dripping off her face. She ran into her room and slammed the door. What on earth? I got up and went and knocked on her door.

“Rebekah? Love, what is it?” I called.

She opened the door, eyes and cheeks read from the torrents of tears streaming down her face.

“Everybody is leaving...” she whispered. I froze.

“What do you mean?” I asked slowly. She gulped, seemingly afraid to answer.

“Elijah has gone. Kol went off on some silly little mission – apparently you asked him to go on...” she stated, glancing at me.

“Yes.” I said. “I asked Kol to watch over Jeremy Gilbert – he could be useful... As for Elijah, where did he take off to?”

“I don't know. After we came home, he went to his study. When he came out, he had a letter. He left and never came back.” she said, sniffling. I nodded. I'm sure he abhorred the things he had done today – threatening the doppelganger and such.

“And...” she continued, slowly and nervously. I looked back at her. “...Elizabeth is gone.” she whispered, probably hoping I wouldn't hear. It didn't work.

“WHAT!?!” I bellowed, surprised at how upset I was.

Rebekah cringed. “She was so upset, and confused over... well, a bunch of stuff, but mainly her feelings for you. Me and Kol might have suggested she go away to clear her head, which she did.” she said, nervously. I glared at her.