[Franken Cuisine] Seafood Gumbo by Lynn

I'm from a coastal town and that means, lots of fresh seafood available all the time

I'm from a coastal town and that means, lots of fresh seafood available all the time. When I moved to Florida, I found seafood, alright, but felt there was something missing. Back home in Puerto Rico, we are big on "asopaos" (thick soups and similar concoctions). That's where gumbo kinda saved my soul. I saw the appeal, and I hope you will too, for this staple Southern dish.

Ingredients:
1 cup of oil
1 cup of flour
2 onions
3 bell peppers
Celery chopped
Garlic powder (to taste)
Creole seasoning (to taste)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
3 bay leaves
A pack of Okra

And now.... the meats!
Chicken ( Don't be afraid to use the dark skin because it will soak up on the good stuff much better than breasts! )
Smoked sausage
Shrimp peeled and deveined
And some good old blue crabs. (Ask your local fishmongers, they will clean them for you and you can eat them right through! No need to further peel!)

Directions:

1.Pour your flour and oil in the pot. Stir until you get like a chocolate brown colour. (This is known as a roux, I personally call it the seat of all yum, yums!)

2.Then you add your veggies (onions, bell pepper, celery and seasonings) Let that cook down for a bit...
Add sausage to cook in it for a while.

3.In a side skillet, you can fry your okra until the slime is completely out, then pour it in. Yes, I said slime, and I know okra looks like one of those pods from sci-fi movies but believe me, it makes a world of difference).

4.Pour in 8 cups of water, or your fave stock, and stir.

5.Let it simmer down for about 20 mins.

6.Add the chicken.

7.Let that cook down for a while until it starts to boil.

8.Reduce heat, add about 4 more cups of water.

9.Cook for about 35 mins.

10.Last, but not least, add your shrimp and crabs.

11.Once the seafood is added, it shouldn't stay for long in direct heat. Ten minutes will do.

12.Let it sit for abt 30 to 45 mins stirring occasionally. It will get thick, and amazing. Serve it by the cup, serve it by the bowl, with rice or by itself!