[Must Try Recipe] Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage by Lynn

Testify! This is one of those recipes that take me back to a specific place and time; one of the first not "Puertorican" dishes I dared try when moving to New York.

Corned beef is pretty much a staple on the island, but we usually eat it out of a can in creole sauce with plantains.

So, this dish became an Irish-American tradition that reminded me of things in common. (And yes, good old Saint Patrick became one of my favorite festivities as well). Let's enjoy it together!

-Lynn

What do we need?
* 1 corned beef brisket 3-5 lbs (not much else to do here, these babies come brined and with its own spice packet)
* 3 carrots peeled and cut into large chunks
* 3/4 lb small yellow potatoes halved
* 1/2 head green cabbage cut into wedges
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 1 clove garlic minced
* 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
* salt and pepper to taste
* grainy mustard for serving optional

How do we do it?
* Remove the corned beef from the package. Rinse with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.

* Place the corned beef brisket (fat side up), carrots and potatoes in a slow cooker. Add 3 cups of water to the slow cooker, plus the seasoning packet that comes in the corned beef package.

* Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.

* Add the cabbage on top of the corned beef and cook on LOW for another 2 hours.

* Remove the cabbage, corned beef, potatoes and carrots from the slow cooker. Slice the corned beef against the grain.

* Place the butter, garlic, parsley and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments or until melted.

* Drizzle the garlic butter over the carrots, potatoes and cabbage. Place the meat, potatoes and vegetables on a platter and serve with mustard on the side if desired.

Easy and delicious!