Chapter 8

A/N: Hi guys! So, if you're enjoying this story, good! I've noticed that there aren't many books about people with intellectual disability and plus not to mention them falling in love, I mean, there are like 2, but only one of them is actually any good (that I've read on here. Even when I search it up on the internet... not much pops up. But anyway, enjoy! It's gonna start getting really good soon, I promise (even though I think it's already pretty good)

Erik and I find my mom and Cosette sitting at a table near a window. Erik glances at me before sitting down.

"So, Erik, have you enjoyed today so far?" my mom asks. Erik nods.

"I-I really liked it," he whispers. We share a glance and he smiles at me. "Clarkey so nice to me." He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. I know he's trying to calm himself down before we order the food. I wonder if he's ever been to a restaurant before. I doubt his mother lets him out of the house very often. He keeps looking around, amazed at everything surrounding him. When I see him, it's clear that he's probably never been outside of his house and maybe the hotel. "I never leave the house," he whispers to me, confirming my thoughts. "I never been anywhere except the hotel. Mother say I don't deserve anything." He blinks but then the happy expression returns to his face. I can tell it's fake, but I know he's trying to be happy. It's not his fault that his mother's starved him for the past 8 years.

"What are you going to order?" Erik glances at me and blinks.

"Can... Can Clarkey order for me? He better at knowing things... And I can't really read good," he says. My mom nods, glancing at me.

"Of course I'll order for you," I tell him. "You know how much I love you. I will literally do anything for you." He blinks and smiles at me.

"Thank you, Clarkey."

"Oh, and guys? I hope you don't mind, but I asked Eleanor to join us." Erik's eyes widen and he manages a weak smile.

"Good," he whispers. "That real good. But I have to go bathroom now. Clarkey?" I take his hand and lead him back to the bathroom. I can almost see him trembling. "I no want see Mother... she hurt me... she yell for eating." He blinks at me then stares at the ground.

"I know, Erik... I'm so sorry. I... I'll protect you, don't worry." He glances up at me again.

"You promise?"

"I promise," I whisper, pulling him into a kiss. Afterward he smiles and hugs me.

"Now I don't have to fake being happy. I love you, Clarkey." I take his hand.

"I love you too, Erik. More than you can imagine." He quickly goes to the bathroom so when his mother arrives he won't have an accident. While he's washing his hands, though, he says something kind of scary.

"Mother no care if I die. I tried four times but I'm so retarded. Then she yelled at me and wished I would die already 'cause I'm useless." His green eyes are filling up with tears. I kiss his forehead and lead him out of the bathroom once his hands are dry. As we're walking out, we run into Eleanor. Erik moves closer to me, not wanting to speak to her.

"Poor Erik," Eleanor says, trying to move him away from me. "Are you upset, son? Do you want to come close to me?" Erik shakes his head.

"I no want," he whispers. Eleanor's eyes narrow.

"What did you do to him?" she asks, staring at me. "Before he would've done anything to come near me. Now he's avoiding me like I have the plague. Is it your fault?" Erik's head shoots up and he moves closer to his mother, nearly crying once he's in her arms.

"I-I-I s-s-sorry, M-M-Mother," he stutters. "I-I just love Clarkey... a lot."

"I can tell. But I don't think he's a good influence. I don't think it's a good idea for you to stay with him for a whole week." Erik blinks at her and then glances at me.