Chapter 9

I wake up the next morning while Erik is still asleep. He looks so cute, and what I notice is that he still sucks his thumb. I don't think anything of it, it's not like it embarrasses me. I glance over at him, smiling. He's so deep asleep, I'm just glad that he isn't having nightmares. I stand up, tiptoeing out of the room slowly so I don't wake him. Almost as if he feels me leaving, Erik starts to stir. He glances at me and I walk back to the bed. Erik sits up, blinking at me.

"Clarkey," he whispers, "Did I had accident?" I look and feel the blanket below him, but thankfully it's not wet.

"No, Erik, you didn't have an accident." His face lights up and he kisses me.

"That good. I not like having accidents." He reaches over and puts on his glasses, blinking slowly. He sighs all of a sudden. "I need tell you something." I stand up, closing the door quickly and returning to the bed. I look into Erik's eyes.

"What is it, love?" He looks down, suddenly seeming ashamed. "Is it about your mother?"

"No, Clarkey. It... it just about me. I just want tell you that I not... I not as happy as I seem. I always upset about Mother but I no want annoy you. I sorry," he whispers. "I never even feel happy, at least, not unless I with you. And even then I still sad all the time 'cause I just depressed." I stroke his hair.

"I'm so sorry, Erik..."

"I just... I been so depressed since I was little 'cause of Mother and people at school. But mostly Mother. I not... I not really able to be happy. I want to, but I can't." He sighs. "So many things I can't tell you." He shakes his head. "I sorry. I... I think I sound annoying. I gonna stop talking now." I take Erik's hand and he sighs.

"You're not annoying, Erik. I love you." We sit there for a few minutes until Cosette walks in.

"Awww, y'all are awake," she says. Erik blinks at her and runs a hand through his hair.

"Hi... um, I forgot your name... I sorry." Erik looks at the ground, clearly disappointed in himself.

"It's okay, Erik. My name's Cosette." He nods.

"What we doing today?" he asks. I take his hand.

"Whatever you want. School starts back up tomorrow, since it's Monday, so..."

"I not know what to do 'cause I never do stuff." I glance at Erik, kissing him on the cheek.

"It's okay, love. We can do anything." He blinks.

"I not know what we do. What you guys like to do? Maybe we hang out with your friends?"

"That sounds good. I'll text Eliza and maybe Aurora. They'd love to spend the day with us." Erik waits patiently as I take out my phone and text them.

"Hey guys, wanna hang out with Erik, Cosette, and I?" I press send and glance at Erik. He's chewing on his shirt sleeve again. Eliza responds right away.

"Sorry, Clarkson, but I have plans. Maybe another time?" I sigh and look at Erik.

"She coming?" he asks.

"Not Eliza, but Aurora might respond." Sure enough, Aurora says we can hang out. Part of me wants to go out somewhere, but most of me doesn't because we might run into someone. We end up deciding to just go to a nearby mall, which I guess is okay. I help get Erik dressed and I change my clothes, making both of us look pretty damn cute. Well, Erik always looks cute, but yeah. Aurora comes to pick us up, since she already has her license.

"Hi guys!" she says to us. Erik buries his face in my shoulder as usual. "Hey Erik, are you excited?" He lifts his head, looking at Aurora with a confused expression on his face.