Chapter 16

We continue talking to Officer Kim until more officers come to the house. They search it and find bags of cocaine, heroin, and marijuana, plus cigarettes and alcohol.

"Erik, did you know your mother was doing drugs?" One officer asks him. He shakes his head.

"I not even know what these things are, really, but I think that why I retarded." Now, every time he says that word he looks at me. "Sorry, Clarkey. I not know better word." I just kiss his forehead.

"It's okay, Erik. I know you're used to using that word." He just blinks and looks at me.

"I wanna die," he whispers. "I know I not supposed to but I not wanna be here anymore. Like, Mother gonna be mad at me if I stay alive."

"Erik, please... don't say things like that..." he starts crying slightly.

"I sorry. I just not know..."

"It's okay, Erik, I just want you to be okay. Your mother won't be able to hurt you anymore... you're safe now." He just sighs.

"But she... she gonna lie and say she didn't do bad thing to me."

"Erik, she can't. I filmed her so I would have proof. She's going straight to jail, love." He smiles slightly.

"No more? She not g-gonna hurt me anymore?"

"No, she's gone. No more suffering, Erik. You'll move in with me as soon as you can. I love you."

"I love you too, Clarkey." The police take the bags of drugs out to the car using gloves. Erik just sits there, his green eyes darting every which way. "So many people... Clarkey, when I move in with you can we do fun things? I not know what to do 'cause Mother never let me." I kiss his forehead, stroking his hair.

"Of course, Erik." One of the other officers comes up to us.

"Erik, I'd just like to tell you that you're so brave for dealing with this abuse your whole life. Your mother deserves to rot behind bars after what she did to you. I hope you're able to heal, Erik, that's what you need." Erik just sighs.

"I never gonna be normal, though. I not even talking about my, um, my disability, but I always gonna be scared of everything." He glances at me and adjusts his glasses. "I wanna be normal but I too scared to do anything." I kiss his forehead and he looks up at me with his big green eyes. He's literally so cute.

"Listen, Erik. It's okay. Your mother's hurt you a lot but you can be helped. I'll help you feel okay. I'll help you not to hate yourself," I whisper. He smiles at me, nodding.

"Thank you, Clarkey."

"Now, guys... we're going to take you down to the station so we can figure everything out. We won't exactly need a trial, unless we find out more information on Mrs. Hudson's crimes." Erik sits there quietly, not knowing what to do or say. He's trembling, almost as if he's having a panic attack. I look over at him and see a tear running down his cheek.

"I-I g-g-gonna see her ag-gain?" he whispers.

"Well, yes, Erik, but she won't be able to hurt you," the police officer tells him. Erik just nods, not knowing how to react. He shifts nervously in his seat.

"You promise she'll get a long sentence? I don't want Erik having to see her again. Ever. She's going to try to make him live with her again." Erik blinks and glances at me.

"But I not know... she gonna try to seem innocent... I know she not but. She wanna hurt me again." I sigh and kiss his forehead.

"Erik, it's okay. I'll make sure she won't." The officers lead us out of Erik's house, putting up a sign and police tape and blocking out the door. Erik takes my hand and we get into the back of a police car, being driven to the station. Erik keeps trembling, as I know he's terrified to see his mother. We finally arrive at the station, getting out of the car and walking in. We walk down a few halls until we see Eleanor and Dylan being detained.