Chapter 10

Erik is really anxious for the rest of the day. He clings to me most of the time, avoiding anyone else. I know he's only acting this way because his mother's going to do something horrible to him. That's when I know what I have to do. I have to follow their car home, watch them go inside and see what Eleanor does to him. I know Erik told me she rapes him, but I need to see it just to make sure for when I tell the police. The final bell rings for school, and Erik starts crying once again.

"I no want... I no want..." he whispers. "Mother g-g-gonna... she gonna hurt me like she hurted me before." He looks up at me and kisses me. "That just in case it was our last kiss... I not sure what Mother gonna do to me." He bites his lip and glances at me. "I love you, Clarkey." I brush his bangs out of his face, staring into his green eyes lovingly.

"I love you too, Erik." We go back to my house and I can just tell that Erik's having another panic attack. He's trembling and crying and refusing to speak or look at anyone. I feel so bad for him. Suddenly we hear the doorbell ring, which makes Erik start trembling even more. He moves close to me, taking a deep breath.

"I g-g-gotta p-p-pretend that I f-f-f-fine... e-e-even th-th-though I n-not," he manages to choke out. He forces himself to smile and we start going downstairs. Once he sees Eleanor, though, he nearly starts crying again. I see him trying to hold himself together, but I know it's not really working.

"Hi, son," Eleanor says. Erik blinks and sighs.

"H-h-hi M-M-Moth-ther," he whispers. Eleanor crosses her arms and glances at her son as my mother walks into the room. Eleanor is almost about to say something, but when she sees my mother she closes her mouth. Erik moves closer to me, trying not let anyone see him cry.

"Erik, why won't you look at me? Do you not like me anymore?" Eleanor asks. Erik lifts his head.

"I... no, Mother. I sorry." He forces himself to look at his mother.

"We'd better leave soon," Eleanor says, taking Erik's hand.

"Well, it was nice having Erik," my mom says.

"Thank you, Nicole. He's not easy to deal with, though." Erik blinks.

"Clarkey, hold on... go upstairs? Just for a second?" he asks. I nod and start walking upstairs, waiting for Erik to follow me. Suddenly, though, I hear Eleanor's voice.

"Erik, no, we're leaving right now, see..."

"Eleanor, let your son go upstairs, he'll be right back," my mom interjects. I turn around to see Erik on the verge of tears.

"No," he whispers, "it fine. I no have to." He blinks at me, almost as he's trying to tell me something. Eleanor nods.

"Okay," she says. "Erik, say goodbye to Clarkson." Erik hugs me and kisses me on the cheek.

"Bye, Clarkey," he whispers. "I love you." Eleanor grabs his hand and leads him out the door without another word. My mom turns to me.

"Did you enjoy spending time with Erik?" she asks. I nod.

"I love him so much... you were right. Just because he's disabled doesn't mean he can't be a good friend. Or boyfriend, for that matter."

"Exactly, Clarkson. And I'm glad you're able to realize that. And he really cares about you, too."

"He just asked if we could get married. I wish we could get married right now but sadly the lowest age is 17. Plus I'm not sure if you'd exactly go for it." My mom just gives me a smile.

"Let's see first, Clarkson. But trust me, I would definitely let you marry Erik. I can see that you really love him and even though he needs extra help, you're willing to do that for him. You're a good person," she says. Then Cosette walks in again.