Chapter 11

AN: oh good lord I love Erik so much! so the last chapter was just... tears. This chapter will be better but soon you'll cry once again. But this chapter is gonna have some nice, sweet parts, don't worry. Erik won't be suffering the WHOLE time.

Sure enough, Erik doesn't show up at school the next day. I have a knot in my stomach, knowing what he's probably experiencing right now. I wish he had a cell phone so maybe I could text him, but I know Eleanor would confiscate it and read all his messages. Then he'd be beaten or raped or worse. The day goes by slowly, but I don't care. I know after school I'm going to visit Erik no matter what. Right as school ends, though, I run into Teresa.

"Where's your precious little retard boyfriend?" she asks.

"He's at home! He wasn't feeling well today." That's not exactly a lie, but it's not exactly the truth either. I sigh and Teresa crosses her arms.

"So he's not here? You must be sooooo bored."

"I miss him, okay? He's my boyfriend. Stop trying to make me feel bad about loving him."

"He's retarded, so why do you like him?"

"Because maybe his disability isn't something I should be ashamed of. It's not his fault, first of all, and second of all, he's still a good person."

"Jeez, I just asked a question. Why are you such an sjw? The word 'retarded' doesn't hurt anyone."

"It hurts Erik when you use it to insult him!" I respond angrily.

"Then why does he use it to talk about himself? I've heard him in the halls. He's like 'I retarded. I so retarded. Why I so retarded?' If he didn't like the word he wouldn't be using it."

"It's more complicated than that," I whisper-scream. "And we both know it. Why do you think he's so anxious, hmm? Why?"

"I don't know, 'cause he's a retard." I glare at her.

"Don't call him that. That's your last warning. And no, it's not because of his disability. Neurotypical people get anxious when they experience abuse of any kind. It's the same for neurodivergent people like Erik." Teresa blinks.

"Are you trying to make me feel bad for hurting him or something?"

"Well, yes, but also I'm trying to show you that Erik's been abused during his life. That's why he uses the r word even though he hates it. It's because that's what he's used to being called at home..." I blink back tears.

"I mean... I feel bad for him... and I kinda feel bad about what I did, but... why are you telling me this?" I shake my head.

"I'm sorry. I had to tell someone... now I have to tell my mom. But first I'm... I'm going to see Erik. Would you like to come with me?" She sighs.

"I still don't like him, Clarkson. And he doesn't like me either."

"You're right. Sorry." I leave school and go right to Erik's house, seeing Eleanor's car in the driveway. I take a deep breath and ring the doorbell. I wonder if it makes Erik have a panic attack. I'm sorry, Erik. Eleanor comes to the door, looking kind of bored. "Hi Eleanor," I say, "where's Erik?" She blinks.

"He's not feeling well today. He's upstairs in his room... sleeping." Lies. These are all lies. He's in the basement, probably crying.

"Can I see him?" I ask. She takes a deep breath. Hold on a second, let me go wake him up. I'll be right back. She closes the door (probably so I won't see her take him out of the basement) and I hear her scream his name. She finally opens the door again, Erik standing right next to her. His hair is sticking up in all directions and he looks exhausted, like he didn't sleep at all last night. Or maybe like he was just brutally beaten by his mother. He looks up at me then stares at the ground again.