New Meat

The building was grimy. Covered in poisonous vines and leaves that sprouted fruit that could make your stomach churn. Orange shells that encased bright red seeds, beauty that enticed you, but upon ingesting the beauty, it could kill you. The poison on the outside practically screamed that the inside held much more poison. But, I was willing to take the risk of being poisoned. For, where else was I to go?

I was kicked out because my parents couldn't afford to let me stay anymore, along with my younger siblings' costs. Then there was that I had no college fund nor scholarships. I was doomed for a life of poison anyway. I wasn't going to be anything great anyway. A hairdresser at the most. All my life, I'd wanted to be a teacher. I loved opening the world to someone else who hadn't seen everything yet. The realization and amazement that brightened a child's eyes when they read their first sentence was something I'd lived for. But that dream just wouldn't become a reality.

I stepped heavily upon the weakened wooden front steps that led up to the the door. I looked for a doorbell, but there wasn't one. I knocked upon the door lightly enough to be polite but heavy enough so that someone realized I was there. The sun was shadowed by dull gray storm clouds. There wasn't any rain yet, but one could smell it in the air, the storm brewing on the horizon.

The door opened to reveal a man, he was built, tall, and he scared me. His eyebrows were furrowed, his eyes guarded. His jaw was set and he appeared to be glaring at me. I gave him a small smile, hoping he'd maybe not glare at me so angrily.

"Name?" He asked, his voice brisk and deep. I opened my mouth, to answer him.

"Holland." I replied quietly. He raised an eyebrow and looked down at a clipboard in his hands. "You're not on the schedule. We don't do walk-ins. Call and make an appointment." He went to close the door but a female voice called out him.

"Jake, darling, this girl has a meeting with me. Let her in." The voice from inside informed him. He huffed and stepped aside, letting me in. He shut the door promptly after I'd stepped inside. Inside the grimy building, it wasn't so disgusting as the outside. The entry was lit with a glass chandelier that sparkled against the blue and white wallpaper. Jake led me down a hall to a dark wood door with a nameplate that read 'Madame'. He opened the door and pushed me inside. The door clicked close once he'd left. I gulped silently and was faced with a warm room with a red-headed woman behind a desk looking up at me. "Ah, hello, Holland, right?" I nodded. She motioned for me to come sit across from her.

"Um, thank you. How are you?" I asked politely. The seat I was in wasn't very comfortable, it was really stiff. Probably more for decoration than actual seating.

"Good, and you?" She asked me. The woman was very beautiful. Her green eyes rimmed with smoky black eyeliner, her lips stained burgundy. Freckles dotted her face, but it made her more interesting to look at.

"I'm good." I replied back. The walls were covered in photos and quotes written in multi-colored Sharpies. "I was here about a job."

"I know. So, you told me that you're eighteen? I need to see some identification." She held out a pale hand and I handed her my ID. She examined it closely before handing it back to me. "And do you have any experience in this kind of industry?" I gave her a confused look. "No? Okay, are you a virgin?" Her question came out as if it wasn't that personal at all.

"No." I replied sheepishly. I'd lost my virginity at the age of seventeen with a boy who I thought had loved me with his entire being. She nodded slowly.

"And you're clean? No STDs or anything of the like?"

"Nope, clean as a whistle." I chuckled nervously. She nodded again, but gave me a small reassuring smile.