Silent Solace

Slowly, I turned around to be faced with a man of twenty-something. His hair wavy and hung in his eyes. The color of a light golden brown. His eyes were a bright hazel color. His lips tugged into a tight thin line. He was built more lanky than muscular, his height making him look awkward, though he didn't sound that way. His voice was coated in a thick accent, one that made me continue to stare at him; just hoping he'd speak again.

The air between us was still. Me with my odd staring and him with questionable glaring. He sighed and crossed his thin arms over his chest, still awaiting my response.

"Excuse me? Clients aren't allowed in here." He told me, gesturing to the door.

"I'm not a client. I stay here." I said to him. His arms fell to his side, his eyes looked to the floor. "I won't bother you. I was just bored." He nodded slowly.

"So, you're the girl who came yesterday?" He asked. I nodded. "Sorry I didn't greet you. My name's Oli." He extended a shy hand to me. I took his hand and shook it slowly.

"Holly." I replied with a smile. His eyes met mine fleetingly.

"I like that name. It's like Oli, only with an 'H'." He laughed nervously. "Well, I'll leave you alone then." He quickly disappeared to another section of the library, leaving me surrounded my books upon books. I let my fingertips run along the spines of the numerous books, eyes examining the titles, searching for something good to read.

I was a picky reader, always had been. I couldn't just read something coated heavily in romance or cliche. I needed fantasy, something that could pull me away from my actual life. But not so much fantasy that the story was impossible. Action, and a plot that made sense was upon my long list of needs for my first possible novel from this expansive library. I was very fickle, quickly abandoning books, shoving them back into their places after not being hooked into the story-line.

Sometimes, I would begin to just read mangas, but mangas were never quite long enough and I winded up finishing them in thirty minutes. I was seated on the floor, surrounded by books that I'd need to put back. Oli walked past the aisle I was on but then took a few steps back.

"You gonna read the whole teen fiction section?" He joked. I glanced up at him, surprised that he was talking to me.

"Oh, no, I don't want to read those. I'll put them back where they belong." I assured him. He came over to me and plopped down. He picked up a book from one of the stacks of turned down books.

" 'Prince's Proposal'? You don't want to read this one? Why?" He asked me curiously as he opened the book and started reading the inside flap. I shrugged.

"I know how it'll end already. The prince ends up with the nerdy girl that's new to town. The rich snobby girl will be dumped by the prince, thus the nerdy girl becomes princess and they live happily fucking ever after." I replied as I picked out another potential book.

"But it might not even be that way." He said flipping through a few pages of the unrealistically girly novel. I shrugged.

"I don't like cliches. I don't want to be able to guess the ending." I told him, glancing over at him.

"But, cliches aren't a bad thing. There's a reason why cliches become cliches; because people enjoy them. Why do you think the hero always wins?" He closed the book. "I'm going to read this book, and if it doesn't end the way you think it does, then you have to read it. Deal?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

"But if it does end how I think it will, then what?" I asked him, my words holding a edge of smugness to it. He thought for a second.

"I dunno. I don't really have any talents...I could finger you if you want." He said with a shrug. My eyes widened.

"No, no, no. C'mon, think of something, maybe not so vulgar?" I suggested. He laughed and for a second, I felt myself grinning widely at him.

"Vulgar? We live in a whorehouse, vulgarity surrounds us daily. Deal or no deal?"

"I don't want you to finger me if I'm right."

"I could eat you out then, if you prefer."

"That's not much better. How about this, you make me breakfast in bed if I'm right. There."

"Oh, for your sake, you might want to hope I'm right. I can't boil fucking water correctly." Oli joked half-heartedly. He stood. "But since you don't like vulgarity or whatever, it's a deal."

"Okay then." I went back to searching through the shelves in front of me.

"Yeah, and you seriously better put these books where you got them. Madame is a stickler for order." He walked away from me, the bright blue cover of Prince's Proposal clutched under his arm.

____

I was rushing upstairs to take a shower before anyone else got into the shower room. I walked in, and thank goodness, it was empty. I stripped down and walked under a shower head and turned it on. I was completely fine showering and was even humming to myself as I went along.

"Hey! Nice bum there, Holly!" Tyler said from the doorway, he was completely naked already and walking towards another shower head. "Glad to see you using the common shower this time."

"Please, stop looking at me." I said covering up my exposed flesh. He laughed loudly.

"Nothing I haven't seen before." Tyler replied easily.

"She might as well get used to it anyway, clients will literally be fucking her while she's naked. If she can't be naked around us, she might have a problem." Jake added as he and Ashley walked into the bathroom.

"None of us would look at you any different if you left anyway. Some people aren't cut out for this." Ashley said to me before kissing Jake quickly. I shook my head and didn't say anything. I tried not to think about how any of them could be staring at me right then or anything and just continued on showering.

"Guys, do you ever wonder what it'd be like to fuck a dinosaur?" Tyler asked aloud.

"What the actual fuck?" Jake asked with a laugh.

"First off, it's dick would tear you in fucking half." Ashley replied, "So you'd die."

"Why would you even answer that question. Logic can't be applied to Tyler's odd mind-fucking questions." Josie chimed in as she entered the shower.

"That's very true." Jake agreed. I shook my head with a small smile and left the shower, wrapping my body in a plush towel. I walked out of the shower, my hair dripping as I went into the girls' room. I found an oversized t-shirt to sleep in some underwear from the dresser beside the vanity. I tossed some of the clothes on the floor into the hamper.

I was about to crawl in bed when the sound of thunder sounded against the sky. Heavy footsteps came pounding into the room. Shay stood shaking in the doorway of the room, his eyes wide in fright and a small teddy bear clutched to his chest.

"H-Holly, c-can I stay in here with y-you?" Shay stammered. I nodded and we both crawled into my bed. His body shook as I wrapped an arm around him.

"What's wrong, Shay?" I asked him quietly. Thunder clapped it's powerful hands together, the sound echoing throughout the sky. He whimpered softly. "Shay?"

"P-Pr-Promise you w-won-won't make f-fun of me?" He asked me. I nodded. "I-I'm scared of th-thunder." This was very different from the usual bubbly, bright and friendly Shay I had gotten used to seeing. He was vulnerable and being pretty open with me.

"That's okay, it'll be okay. Nothing will hurt you, promise." I soothed him. He nodded wordlessly and hugged the teddy bear even tighter to his chest.

"You pinky promise?" He held up his pinky to me. I intertwined my own small pinky with his and grinned at him.

"I pinky promise." I promised him. He nodded and kissed my forehead.

"I owe you, Holly." He spoke before yawning.