Hidden Under Ink

I was back in the kitchen again. Missy was filing her nails at the table and Tyler was sitting on the counter eating cereal. I had just put a piece of bread into the toaster when I heard Ashley shriek and storm into the kitchen.
"You fucking slut! Back-stabbing motherfucker!" Ashley yelled at Missy. Missy didn't even flinch at the words. She didn't even look at the enraged Ashley.
"I see Jake told you about the amazing orgasm I gave him." Missy replied simply. She blew on her nails. "Did he also tell you how he was the one to initiate the act, or no?"
"Even if that's true, why would you blow him? You know he's with me!" Ashley yelled back. I glanced over my shoulder at the dispute but turned away quickly.
"Technically, at the time, you two were broken up. Meaning, you have no right to be mad at me. So, cool your silicone breasts and leave me the fuck alone." Missy went back to filing her nails as if she'd done nothing wrong. And in a way, she hadn't. But her actions proved that perhaps you couldn't really trust anyone in this house.
"I'm gonna kill you!" And I heard Ashley and Missy begin to fight. My toast popped out of the toaster and I quickly grabbed it and hurried out of the kitchen. Their fight had nothing to do with me, and I'd be damned if I were going to stay in there and watch. I went upstairs and crawled under my blanket, eating quietly.
I could still hear the two screaming at each other. I also heard when Tyler and Jake broke the fight apart. I pretended not to hear Ashley crying when she came upstairs, mainly because I wasn't done with my toast and because I didn't care much for her. I felt that both girls were wrong in a sense. If they both weren't so evil to everyone, perhaps the whole spat wouldn't have happened. They both were pretty, they just had rotten insides.
When I finished eating my toast, Ashley was still bawling her eyes out and I sat in bed, waiting for her to chill out so I could slip out of the room unseen. But luck wasn't on my side.
"I know you're in here, Holly. You heard what she did? That bitch!" Ashley cried. I tossed my covers off of me and looked at the blonde girl. Her eyeliner and mascara were running, causing black lines to fall down her face.
"I'm not gonna get in this, so I'm gonna go." I felt awkward and bad for her. But Ashley had been the same girl who'd kicked me in the back with heels on just two weeks prior. I left the room and shut the door behind me. Josie gave me a sad look.
"How's she holding up?" Josie asked me quietly. I shrugged.
"I dunno. She's crying, that's all I know." I told her and went downstairs. In the kitchen, Missy had an ice pack to her cheek while Tyler spoke to her. I sighed and went into the library. It was quiet in there, just like it usually was. When I looked around for Oli, I couldn't find him. And he didn't pop out of nowhere either. Accepting defeat, I plucked a random book off of a shelf and began reading it.

___

It was storming that night. The thunder shaking the house every so often. Ashley and Missy had made up before dinner, but that meant Jake was still in the dog-house. Shay didn't come running into my bed when the lightning first struck the sky, Missy told me it was because he was cuddled up with Tyler.
The thought of the two together made me laugh and smile in happiness. Shay could lie and say Tyler didn't like him, but I think there had been some underlying feelings that had led up to their hook-up.
Like usual, I couldn't sleep. Like clock-work, I tip-toed downstairs and into the living room. Oli was lying on the couch watching some police show. I went over to him and laid on top of him. He chuckled at my actions.
"A hello would've been nice." He said between laughs. I shrugged as he wrapper his arms around me. "Can't sleep again?"
"This shouldn't even be surprising to you anymore." I mumbled. "What're we watching?"
"NCIS." He replied. "We can watch whatever you want though."
"Nah, Gibbs is cool. Same for Abbey." I said, glancing up at him.
"True, true." We continued watching the show, laughing together at how Dinozo and McGee would argue like brothers. It was an old episode and Kate was still on the show. Suddenly, lightning flashed and the TV turned off, followed by thunder shaking the house. The living room was completely dark, and I couldn't see anything. "Are you scared or something?"
"No, why?" I lied. I was a bit terrified because now I was scared that lightning might strike the house and it'd catch on fire, and I'd be awake to feel myself burn to death. Though I knew the chances of lightning hitting the house was slim, that didn't make my fear go away.
"Because I can feel your nails digging into my skin." He replied. "I'm sure the power will turn back on soon."
"Yeah, but until then it'll be dark and quiet."
"Are you scared of the dark?"
"No, just, please, I'm not scared of the dark."
"Well, I'm scared of roller coasters...if that makes you feel any better." Oli spoke quietly. I glanced up at him, though I couldn't see him.
"I'm scared of elevators." I replied. "And that does make me feel better." We both fell silent. "What do you want to do until the television turns back on?"
"I dunno. You could always kiss me, you know, if you want to." He suggested. I started laughing. "I can't tell if you're laughing at me, or out of nerves."
"I little bit of both." I teased. "You're such a dork."
"I'll take that, and you're immature."
"How so?"
"C'mon, you can't even say the word penis with a straight face."
"But penises are funny, like you've seen them."
"Uh, of course I have. And how are they funny?"
"Because," I started laughing all over again. "They're kind of ugly, and just hang there."
"The fuck? Dicks aren't that ugly."
"Yes they fucking are, and you know it. I feel bad because you have to look at your's."
"Vaginas are just as ugly though."
"Yeah, but I don't actually see mine."
"You win. Fucking hell." Oli sighed and tightened his arms around me. Lightning lit up the room for a few brief moments. "I honestly love storms."
"I think they're beautiful." I whispered back.
"Just like you."
"You really like me?"
"I thought we went through this, yes, I do. Sometimes I don't want to, but I still do."
"And why wouldn't you want to?"
"Because you're such a wonderful person and I'm a basket case."
"And I thought we went through this, you're not crazy or a basket case."
"Says you."
"Says me. Isn't that enough?"
"It's a lot, but enough is an odd choice of words." He sighed deeply. "The thing is, I'm not the easiest person to be around or like, you've probably figured this by now. I have issues with being around other people. I get a tad overprotective, I'm always by myself. I ramble constantly. The fact that you choose to be around me now is surprising."
"You say all that as if you don't want me to like you." I didn't quite understand how he could see himself as lower than me. I wasn't that spectacular and if you break it down, we're all the same on the inside. "And if that's your goal, good luck, because I already do like you."
"I'm not saying you shouldn't like me, I'm saying I'll never be your Prince Charming, or whatever. I'll barely be mediocre. And like I told you, You deserve to be treated like royalty and I can't assure you that I can do that." He shifted a little, mindlessly grazing his fingertips along my skin.
"What makes you think you don't deserve the same thing? Perhaps no one is ever good enough for anyone and we all wind up settling. You think I'm better than you, but it could be the complete opposite. I might not want to be treated like royalty. I just want to be your partner in crime. The Mary Jane to your Spider-man. I want to be on the same level as you. That's what relationships are supposed to be. Two people giving as much as they take." I reached up and ran my fingers through his hair. "We are all just walking skeletons waiting for death anyway."
"Your mind is absolutely beautiful."
"I could say the same for your's." I leaned up and gently pressed my lips to his. I could tell he was shocked at first, but relaxed into it. Our lips slotting together slowly as thunder shook the earth and rain pelted against the windows. Oli's thumbs softly rubbed circles into my hip bones. I bit his bottom lip as I pulled away from him. The television chose then to turn back on and we both glanced at it, seeing Abbey tazing some guy while Gibbs just shook his head at her. I looked back at Oli to find him staring at me. "What?"
"Nothing." He replied with a smile. I felt my own lips curling into a smile.
"Seriously, what?" I asked again. He chuckled.
"It's nothing." He repeated. "But, I think you're beautiful."
"That's not 'nothing', dickhead." I teased.
"Wow, you're mean." He said, pretending to be hurt. "Bitch."

My eyes were slowly growing heavy. I felt myself yawn. I went to get up when Oli pulled me back to him.
"No, no, please stay." He whispered. I glanced up into his eyes.
"But I'm tired." I whined. "Carry me to bed then."
"Someone's whiny when they're tired." He muttered. "In a minute." I grumbled out an 'okay' and cuddled up closer to Oli. I could hear his heartbeat as I slowly fell asleep against him on the couch.

___

"Shut the fuck up, Shay." I snapped as I was getting dressed. He rolled his eyes. "It was nothing."
"It was so something. You two were asleep on the couch together." Josie piped up from in front of a vanity.
"Not to mention you wouldn't drop the whole me-and-Tyler thing, so let me have this." Shay reminded me. "I had called this how long ago? And you kept shoving it under the rug."
"Because it's nothing." I replied easily. It was something, and I knew it, but I didn't feel that everyone needed to know that. It was between me and Oli and that's how I felt it should remain. "Can we please talk about something different? Please?"
"Nope, so what happened last night?" Shay asked me. I sighed.
"And why were you both downstairs anyway?" Josie added. I glared at the two of them. If only Shay hadn't came downstairs and seen the two of us, the whole conversation would have been avoided. Oli had blushed a deep scarlet and hurried out of the room, leaving me with the questioning looks of our housemates.
"What happened last night was none of your concern. And I was downstairs because I couldn't sleep." I answered tiredly. "Why don't we talk about you and Tyler, Shay?"
"What about us?" Shay asked, his cheeks tinged a light pink. "We're just friends."
"Missy told me that you slept in the same bed last night." Josie said between giggles. "Wanna explain that?"
"I was scared and he saw that, so he offered for me to sleep with him. That's it." Shay explained. "And we kissed like twice, but that's it. Now you have to explain, Holly, I can't be the only one dishing anything."
"Fine. Me and Oli kissed last night, that's all I'm going to talk about." I honestly wanted to express every detail, but at the same time, some things you have to keep to yourself, and your love-life is one of them.
"Aw! Really? How'd that happen?" Josie asked excitedly. I shrugged.
"We were talking, stuff was said, and I kissed him." I spoke nonchalantly. Josie squealed and Shay grinned.
"You little liar, we knew you two liked each other." Shay teased. I shrugged again.
"Now it's out in the open." I said simply. My friends just exchanged glances. "So will you two stop pestering me about him?"

___

I could hear Ashley and Jake fucking in the shower room. Tyler and Shay were having a pillow fight in the guys' room. Josie was with a client. And Missy was next to me on the roof smoking as if her life depended on the cancerous death she was practically promised. I didn't mind the smell, nor did I mind the sporadic coughing fits Missy had.
"Tattoos are kinda hot, ya know?" Missy said, blowing out a cloud of thin, wire-like smoke. "But then they're kinda deep."
"Deep as in skin-deep, or do you mean deep with meaning?" I asked her. I pulled my knees to my chest and glanced over at the cars passing on the freeway. People who's lives continued as two prostitutes rambled about nothing on a rooftop.
"Both. Like what kind of things could be hidden under the ink of a tattoo?" Missy shrugged. "Scars from childhood? Who knows?"
"Or tattoos could be hiding the person someone used to be." I suggested. She nodded slowly. "The ink covering them like a new skin, for a new person."
"I'm not trying to pry here," Missy took a long, slow, drag of her cigarette, before blowing the smoke out into the open air surrounding us. "But are you and Oli a thing?"
"I don't know how to answer that." I replied honestly. "We're definitely more than friends though."
"He's hot, ya know." Missy laughed and looked at me. "I wouldn't touch him though. I might not act like it, but I kinda respect you."
"Does that mean you don't respect Ashley?"
"If she carried herself with respect, I'd respect her. Maybe it's because you're still like a doe branching out into a forest for the the first time, but I dunno. You're not bad."
"Thanks. Nice of you to say after beating my face in."
"Whatever. I still hate you, that probably won't change." Missy coughed a little. "You're honestly a catch, and whatever you and Oli are, you two deserve each other. But you shouldn't be here. First chance you get, leave, or you'll never leave." Missy coughed again and stubbed out her cigarette, flicking the butt off into the backyard. "I'm going inside. I got a hand-job waiting on me." She crawled back inside and I watched her go. I recalled Oli saying something very similar to me as well. It's not like the house itself was that bad, so why would I need to leave first chance?