Wise Words From A Prick

"Her voice is fucking annoying." Oli noted on my late night television show choice. I sighed. This was the third night in row that I had difficulty sleeping. We were watching The Nanny, and I had to agree, her voice was nasally as fuck, but the rest of the show was kinda funny.
"There's not much else on. You can see if there's something else you'd rather watch." I handed him the remote which he took and began flipping channels. I yawned. Again I was tired, but my mind refused to let my eyes close and stay shut.
My days were starting to blur together with my lack of sleep. I couldn't tell you what day of the week it was, nor how long I actually spent sitting alone reading. I took to not staying in bed all day though, I started reading in the library a little. Sometimes I worried that I was annoying Oli, but then again he never hinted on if I was or wasn't.
"Have you figured out why you can't sleep or are you just gonna accept not sleeping?" Oli asked me, his eyes still on the television, finger pressing the up channel button. I shrugged.
"I feel like I can't sleep because I'm worried about my life in general and it's driving me crazy." I told him. "But there's really not a lot I can do to reassure myself that everything's gonna be okay."
"Well, let's start at why you're worried in the first place?" He asked me.
"Because I never came close to being happy with my life." I answered. A small chuckle left his lips. "What?"
"That's where you went wrong, Holly. Belief in happiness will only lead you to lustful wishes." He stopped surfing channels and stopped on some late-night police drama show.
"I'm sorry that I think that we're supposed to somewhat enjoy life."
"You can enjoy life and not be happy. Enjoyment and happiness are two completely different things."
"Whatever."
"Don't be upset. Okay, so you're worried about not enjoying your life. What do you enjoy doing?"
"I like reading. I don't really do a lot."
"We'll continue with that. Do you like poetry?"
"Sure, I guess."
"Maybe try your hand at poetry. It could help get out your thoughts and hopefully help you to sleep better."
"Thanks, I'll have to try that then." A thought crossed my mind and I glanced over at Oli. "Do you sleep?"
"Not really. I used to, but not anymore." He answered with a sigh.
"Why don't you sleep anymore?" I asked him quietly.
"It's very sad, depressing and a tad crazy so I won't go into details. But I don't sleep anymore because, how do I put this?" He thought for a few moments, leaving me grappling dangerously on the edge of his words. "Hallucinations? Night terrors? It's weird, and I can't quite put it into words. And like you, I have a lot on my mind causing me to stay awake anyway."
"What's on your mind then?" I dared to ask. He looked at me, a smug expression on his face.
"Now, Holly, I just told you that I wouldn't go into details." He replied. "But since you're so fucking nosy I'll tell you."
"I'm not nosy." I argued back weakly. He scoffed and rolled his eyes.
"You're nosy, accept it."
"Fine, whatever. Tell me what's on your mind, since I'm so dying to know." I joked dryly. He smirked at me and looked me dead in the eyes.
"Death. Murder. Violence. And most of all, a secret that could probably get me killed if a word of it even pressed against my teeth." He spoke lowly, his words slightly above a whisper. I blinked and he started to laugh. "You're definitely not going to sleep tonight."
"Are you joking?"
"Nope." He replied, popping the 'p'. "I might be a sarcastic prick, but I'm not joking. I consider myself to be a tormented artist, if you will."
"Tormented artist?"
"Tormented by my mind, hallucinations and thoughts that drive me slightly insane, but provide the best inspiration for creative ideas."
"You sound fucking insane."
"And I probably am. But why fix my broken mind when it sometimes brings me enjoyment through it's painful visions?" He chuckled. "I like my mind. Most people don't. But you, my dear, Holly, are just nosy and probably dying to understand all what goes on inside my head, am I right?"
"No...I'm just curious."
"Curiosity killed the cat and the seven victims of a back-alley serial killer."
"Okay, you're starting to scare me."
"I'm not shocked. What I am shocked about is why I bothered telling you all of that."
"Maybe because you trust me?"
"Trust is illogical. Tell me, do you trust me?"
"Yeah...?"
"Like I told you; you're so fucking naive, Holly."