Chapter 19--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops

SooooOoooo sorry this took so long, it was an accident, I swear :) lol XD

Anyways, I'm trying to tie up some loose strings and I'm trying to rise the conflict of the story right now, which makes it 10000% harder to write, but I'm sure you amazing writers already know that!!! :D Thanks for all the support--Hit 60 fans Thats AHMAZEING!!!!!<3

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Chapter 19

Over the next few days my aunt frantically cleaned the house and yelled at my uncle to go to the grocery store or take care of the baby. Things in a house with six other kids tended to get pretty crazy, but in the end you could tell my aunt and uncle loved each other to death.

My plans to work on getting Sam to like me didn't change a thing. She was still her same-old reserved self, staying in her shell. On our walks she never talked about anything and I thought something was off with her lately. Something had changed, but I didn't think it was me because she wasn't acting weird in an awkward way. She was acting weird in a preoccupied way.

On Tuesday when we were walking home from school I finally got up the nerve to be straightforward and ask her what was going on. I was worried that she knew I liked her.

"What's wrong Sam?" I asked.

"Me?" She looked up like she hadn't even known I was there until I said something. "Oh. Erm... Nothing."

"Right... Then why are you acting so weird."

"I don't know what you're talking about, farmer boy." She told me, trying to smile.

"Something's up."

"No, nothing's up."

"Yeah, something is up and you know it."

"Maybe the sky, but, other than that, no, nothing is up."

"Yes there is." I insisted.

There was a long pause before she turned to me coldly.

"I don't want to talk about it, Derek. Knock it off."

Those were the last words I heard out of her mouth since. Now it was Thursday at 4:00AM and I was outside milking cows. My life was just great.

Lexie was in the house already up making food and cleaning the kitchen. My uncle was milking with me and Amanda was doing the other barn chores. My other cousins who were old enough to talk were all in the house probably getting lectured on one thing or another by my aunt. When she got stressed she had a tendency to bother people about dumb stuff.

I felt....nervous. It had taken me since Monday to decide what I wanted to wear. When I got into the house I was going to take a shower and get dressed in my new dark blue jeans and light yellow and light orange vertical-striped shirt. I went out of my way and revved up the old Chevy to go by some new cologne.

And every night I prayed to God that I wasn't turning into a chick.

Sam's POV

Adam's apple. I mean, what kind of idiot made that up anyways? People shouldn't just casually say, "Whoa, you're Adam's apple is huge!" Dude, really, it's a lump on your neck that sticks out and moves up and down when you talk and swallow. It's not a dementedly-shaped fruit that would never fit in a normal person's throat.

In the mirror I felt stupid while I watched my lump move up and down. It was amusing in its own way.

Okay, I was bored. Why would I want to go to Derek's house to eat Thanksgiving dinner, especially when my parents were so much more embarrassing than his aunt and uncle? I was screwed.