Unclear Thoughts

Hector came in moments later with another man and started to drag the big guy away. He wasn't dead, clearly still breathing, but as my mind wondered I couldn't help but wonder if he would be soon. Another man took the knife from Isaac as he walked to me. I froze in place as he cupped my cheek with his clean hand.

"Are you okay?" he asked softly.

"You...you stabbed him," I muttered out.

"He was going to hurt you," Isaac stated stepping back.

"I know. I'm sorry, I'm just tired," I shook my head walking back to the bedroom. I looked at the ground the whole time, but thankfully no blood stains.

I heard the shower turn on as I buried myself into the covers. I shifted my hand along his empty spot thinking. He stabbed him. I know he was protecting me, but the look in his eyes. There was no emotion at all. What else had he done? I know he said that he had never killed anyone, but would he? He's the leader of a mafia, it's bond to happen. Will I be there? Will it be because of me? I sat up quickly as my heart started racing. I got out of bed and walked to the kitchen and grabbed a glass of water.

"Ethan," Hector nearly gave me a heart attack as my water splashed around in my cup.

"I'm sorry to scare you. I just wanted to let you know we are leaving now and we'll take care of this intruder with Isaac's father so you guys can be alone. I'm glad you safe," he patted my arm and I gave him a weak smile.

I walked back to bed to find Isaac crawling into it. I crawled in next to him and gave him a half smile.

"Ethan, are you sure you're okay?" he asked pulling me by my waist.

"Yeah I'm fine," I kissed his cheek and rolled over so my back faced him.

"Goodnight," he mumbled with his head against my back.

I tried my hardest to fall asleep, but I couldn't. I couldn't stop thinking about it all. It was as if all at once it hit me what his 'real' job is and I don't know if I can be apart of it. 

I think I finally fell asleep 2 hours later. When I woke up there was no Isaac. I checked my phone to find a text.  

'Went to my fathers to talk about the break in. I know you're worried, but he is alive and was returned to the men that sent him. If we kill first it'll start something we don't want. Text me when you're up babe and I'll come by to get you. Mamma is worried.' 

I sighed and got up getting dressed. I contemplated texting him the whole time, but I couldn't bring myself too. I didn't know what to say. I packed up my stuff and headed downstairs. I got myself and Uber and headed to my place. 

I got home to see Sarah and Jackson watching a movie. 

"Hey you're early," Jackson smiled pausing their movie. 

"Yeah, I ran out of clothes," I shrugged. 

"You okay boo?" Sarah asked standing up. 

"Yeah I'm fine," I smiled trying to hide it. 

"Ethan, don't lie to me," she crossed her arms. 

They didn't know. Isaac insisted they didn't need to know yet about the mafia and I agreed. I didn't want them to worry for me. I knew they'd throw a protest and I wanted to be with Isaac. I think that was my biggest problem. I did want to be with him. He had made his way into my heart and life and I didn't want to lose that, but his life. His life is complicated and dangerous, can I handle all that? 

"I'm fine," I walked over and held her arms. "I promise," I winked. 

"Fine, for now," she kissed my cheek and sat back down. 

"Don't forget we leave tomorrow for our anniversary vaca," Jackson called as I walked to my room. 

"I didn't forget love birds," I called back shutting my door. 

I laid down in bed and pulled the blankets over me. I wanted to sleep and forget the world, but my brain wouldn't let me. Every thought I had was Isaac. 

I don't when I went to sleep but when I woke up it was almost 4 in the afternoon. I got up and got undressed and into comfier clothes. I checked my phone and it had 5 missed calls and 7 text messages from Isaac. Every single one was about where I was and he was worried. 

I wanted to call him, I did, but I couldn't. I knew if I did I would just crawl back into his arms and it would be the same, but what if I didn't want it to be. I don't know what I want it to be. 

I laid back down in bed and tried to forget by playing candy crush. 

"I think he's asleep," I heard Sarah say outside my room. 

"Thank you." 

I shot up as I heard his voice. 

"Fuck," I mumbled. 

He opened my door and our eyes met. His eyes, they were puffy and filled with worry. 

"Ethan," he spoke softly shutting my door. 

"Isaac, have you been crying?" I asked moving so my legs were hanging off the bed. 

"Ethan," he sat down next to me, but he gave us some distance. 

"What is it?" 

"It's happening," he practically whispered. 

"What is happening?" I was getting a little anger. 

"You're already drifting away from me," he looked up at me. 

"Isaac," I stood up and started to pace. 

"It's happened before. No one stays after they find out," he watched me. 

"Can you blame them? I mean this isn't like admitting you have a small dick or something. No this is my family kills people," I regretted the words. 

"No I can't. I don't blame you for it either," he stood up. "I don't want to make you stay. I know it's a lot to take in, but I also know I can't promise you that I'm getting out of it. It's my life and that's what it is." 

"That's it? It's your life? No I'm sorry I stabbed someone in front of you?"

"You still want me to apologize for saving you?" his raised his voice and it made me raise mine. 

"No, but I don't want to fucking see it again!" 

"Well I can't promise that! I can't promise you this easy life of candy and kisses, but I cant okay?" he turned his back to me. 

"I don't want that shit! I'm scared okay? I'm scared for my life and I'm scared for you!" I could feel myself on the verge of breaking. 

He turned to me, "Ethan if you think I'm going to let anything happen to you you're fucking crazy. You are my life now and I won't let anyone touch you." 

"You can't promise that," I felt the tears starting. 

"Ethan," he stood in front of me as close as he could without touching me. "I love you."

My eyes shot up and my heart skipped a beat. 

"You what?" 

"I love you Ethan. Please let me protect you," he took my hand and put it over his heart. "I can't do this without you." 

"Isaac, I" I couldn't get anything out. I couldn't think or make words. All I could do was feel. 

I cupped his cheeks and brought his head down so our foreheads laid on each other. 

"You'll keep me safe, right?"

"Always," he spoke softly putting his arms around me.