Chapter Five

Charlotte stared at her, disbelief in her eyes. She was also a little scared, as this woman was obviously crazy. She got up slowly from the wooden chair and backed up, lifting her hands. "I have to leave now. I have this thing at home... that I need to get back to."

As she continued backing away, keeping a watchful eye on the disturbed young woman, the brunette rolled her eyes in annoyance. "Oh, for heaven's sake," she said, clenching her teeth. "I know about Raven."

At that, Charlotte stopped dead in her tracks, looking at her closely. "Wait... you do?"

Emma sighed. "Yes. I do." She exhaled sharply in frustration. "You see, I gave my services to her for the return of my youth."

Charlotte's jaw dropped at her words. "But... why would you do that? She's evil!"

"I know that. My health was failing, and I was on the verge of death. I was afraid to meet my end, so I decided to... change fate. Little did I know how evil she was."

Charlotte sat back down in the chair, leaning forward and listening intently. The young woman continued with her story.

"She took the form of the black cat that always sat around outside my shop, and watched my customers. When you started coming in regularly,she told me you'd ask for a spell to bring the dead back to life, and to give you a certain book. She bookmarked pages that she wanted you to read."

Charlotte began to look visibly angry, and the shopkeeper spoke rapidly, eager to get the rest of her story out before the teenager lost it. "After that, I didn't see you for a bit, and I was worried something happened to you. Raven told me your sister would come in asking for a spell as well, and she directed me to give her a useless protection one that she knew wouldn't be effective against her. I refused at first, having an awful feeling that if I did that, she would do something terrible to her like I feared she did to you."

Emma bent her head in shame and went on, feeling Charlotte glaring daggers at her. "She told me that if I didn't, she'd kill me right then and make it... painful." She stole a glance at the girl and confirmed that she was indeed very upset. She has a right to be, Emma thought, sighing. After all, it was terrible what I did to her and her sister...

"After that, she granted me my youth and health back. I don't know the details of what happened to you both, but I'm sure... you obviously do."

Charlotte crossed her arms and shook her head in dismay. "I... can't believe you would do that to someone so innocent. It would be different maybe if it was someone terrible, but two young girls who've done you no wrong? I'm so upset."

"I... I know. I didn't have a choice." She glanced up at the teenager, and upon seeing Charlotte's disbelief of her words, spoke again. "I mean, I did... I was just scared of what Raven would do to me. If you don't mind me asking..." She bit her lip in trepidation. "What...what happened to you two?"

"The demon put me into a coma and..." Charlotte's eyes brimmed with fresh tears. I thought I was all cried out, but apparently not. "...took my sister's soul. So she says, anyway. She said she wanted to takeaway everything I loved while I watched from the other side. I don't know why I came out of the coma alive; I didn't think I would; I thought I would be trapped inside my head until I died. Now, however, she's living with me and... sleeping in the same room as my sister. I don't even want to think about what's going on with them. They're always together."

Emma shook her head in despair. "I'm... I'm so sorry for everything I've done. Let me at least try to help you, if you'll take my help?"

Charlotte studied her for a long moment, considering her truthfulness. After finding only genuine compassion and regret in her expression, she agreed. "Okay. What do you suggest?"