angel tears

TRIGGERS IN THIS STORY FOR SEXUAL ABUSE, HOMOPHOBIA, ASSAULT, MURDER, SUICIDE, SATANISM, SEVERE RELIGIOUS BELIEFS AND GAY SHIT

TRACK ONE
"angels of porn II "
nicole dollanganger

👼🏻

1987

thirteen year old daniel howell thought that the bible sheets before him smelt like cinnamon and dust - like a church -
and thought that kissing boys would taste like lemon drops and cold november.

"pay attention."

mrs hadley looked tired, laced with the shame of her divorce papers and the faint scent of jack daniels. she rustled the music papers in her hand, blood red nails chipped; daniel thought they looked prettier like that, as he rubbed his own tired mahogany eyes and squinted against the early daylight seeping in through the windows and down onto where he stood at the altar. by his side, chris and pj whispered like naughty toddlers, school shirts rustling like sweet wrappers. the girl standing in front of the bruised brunet boy in an oversized school shirt with lips chapped from the cold had hair that daniel thought was just like lavender in winter.

he wanted to reach out and touch it.

"daniel," mrs hadley snapped, flat shoes slapping like a whip as she briskly crossed the church hall to smack his hand with the sheet music. "stop touching billie's hair."

the young boy barely flinched.

"it's okay, dan," billie whispered, when mrs hadley wasn't looking. "i don't mind. play with my hair if you want."

"quiet," mrs hadley said, sharp as a kitchen knife, and flattened down her skirt. "we'll go from verse three. dorothy, pay attention."

daniel glanced across to where dodie's cheeks were flushed with fear, dolly-white hands playing with the pleats of her skirt. chris and pj had stopped talking now, and all the little faces of the children lined up on the stage were white as angel wings.

"sing," the teacher said, and the organ started up. daniel thought the woman with her hands running over the old ivory keys looked sad. the children all started to sing like angels, the hymn rising to fill the church and its empty pews. it all looked so quiet and pretty.

quietly pretty.

"stop," mrs hadley said, but the old woman behind the organ didn't hear. "i said stop." her screeching tone sliced through the cold air weeping under the church door, and the angelic choir by their tongues to stop.

"this isn't good enough," mrs hadley muttered, bitter as aniseed, and rubbed a hand over the face that was starting to lose its beauty due to a cheating husband. "not good enough."

she raised her eyes, looking black as a sinner's soul to daniel from where he stood all the way over in the second line of children at the altar. he shivered in the winter chill, hands reddened.

the bruises stood out more than ever, like blood on a white silk wedding dress.

"you're all sinners," mrs hadley said. "idleness is sin, and you haven't practised."