cake with satan

TRACK SIX
"carmen"
lana del rey

👼🏻

"he's sort of an asshole."

"who?" dan replied, sat with his hands deep in his coat pockets and masking his wincing as gritting his teeth due to the cold.

"your stepfather," phil said, calmly continuing to set the pages he was tearing from his school bible alight with the stolen priest's lighter.
"he's done it again, hasn't he?"

dan didn't bother lying, because there was less point in doing that as there was in believing that praying would help anymore.

"he's an asshole," phil repeated, watching a passage from leviticus go up in flames,
"like i said."

dan had gotten better at climbing out of his bedroom window to be alone with satan at night, and in the darkness the flames looked pretty.

they lit up phil's face, which was pretty too.

"he's was alright," dan started off, "for a while."

"because of adrian?"

"yeah," dan said, then laughed a little. "because of adrian."

"how is he?" phil asked, tearing out another page from the open bible by his side and watching it burn.

"good," dan said. "i think he's adjusted to us. certainly doesn't miss that orphanage."

"jesus," phil muttered, shaking his head as the bible quotes turned to ash before his eyes. "i feel like i should be glad i'm with my shitty grandparents and not in an orphanage like he was."

"no," dan said, almost defensively. "they don't treat you nicely, phil."

phil laughed at that, before discarding his lighter and leaning close to dan.

"are you gonna treat me right?" he asked, to which dan parted his lips, and let phil's tongue slide under his.

the taste of heaven never seemed to wear off.

"sometimes," dan said uncertainly, sitting back picking at the wildflowers curling in the cold. "i wonder if my stepfather does do it for my own good."

phil laughed, sweetly satanic and satanically sweet.

"i mean," dan repeated, "what if he actually believes that? what if father lucian and all the others have made him believe that?"

when the newly-bruised brunet sighed, his breath floated visibly in the cold night air like his stepfather's cigarette smoke.

"you haven't seen my mother pray, phil," dan whispered. "it's insane."

"you think he does it for your own good?" phil asked. "like he says he does?"

dan glanced at phil, and nodded slightly.

"you think he beats the shit out of you just to get the devil out? christ, dan, it's been two years since i've known you."