archangel

TRACK THIRTY
"uncle"
nicole dollanganger

👼🏻

1970

archangel (n.)
1. an angel of greater than ordinary rank
2. a yellow-flowered dead-nettle found in woodland

lizzy grant's nightdress was almost see through due to the winter rain that had soaked her to the bone and was dampening carmen's pillow.

"you can't keep doing this, lizzy," carmen whispered, as the two girls lay in the dark with their eyes saying all the things they dare not say in case carmen's parents heard.

"doing what?" lizzy teased quietly, and lay a little bit closer to the girl and starting to play with her hair; it always shone like black velvet.

"coming all the way here," carmen giggled,
so prettily that for a moment lizzy thought she'd died and gone to heaven, "and climbing through my window. they'll see us, lizzy, they'll see us."

"mm," lizzy hummed, closing her eyes and just focusing on the way carmen's hair felt under her fingertips. "i know, love, i know. but it's not the most sinful thing we've done together, is it?"

the reference to lizzy's bedroom back in 1969 made carmen smile again, but she wished her smile could spread on its own like warm honey rather than be confined by the fear of god and her parents.

"what time will you go?" she murmured, to which lizzy grant just smiled a pretty, happy smile that would be dead and gone by 1987 for sure.

"wanna stay and see the sunrise," she whispered. "wanna stay and see the sun rise and light up your angelic face."

carmen laughed softly again, her cheeks blooming a blush like a wildflower that was hidden by the night.

"don't be scared, sunshine," lizzy said quietly, and when she cupped the side of carmen's face the girl leaned into her touch. "don't be scared."

" 'm not," carmen mumbled, only this time it was nearer the truth; her heart was thud! thud! thudding, but because of lizzy's warm touch pooling across her skin like morning sun.

"but lying is a sin," lizzy teased through another whisper, before she flipped so that she was straddling carmen's hips and had her wrists pinned down on the pillow playfully.

"lizzy - "

"but you won't need that nightdress on in hell," lizzy smiled, and it was as if there were a river running at the foot of carmen's and her mattress was the soft riverbank grass. "it's too hot for a nightdress."

"it's the thinnest thing i've ever seen," carmen laughed as loudly as she dared whilst wriggling her hips under lizzy.

"looks sort of like a wedding dress," lizzy remarked, playing with the ribbon that laced the front of carmen's nightdress together before finally pulling it free. "don't you think?"

"lil' bit," carmen giggled, letting her nightdress fall open and letting the sin! sin! sin! tang on her tongue like coca cola. "what, we're getting married now?"

"when we run away," lizzy said, matter-of-factly, as she started to do up the nightdress's ribbon again, "obviously. i want you to have lavender in your hair, remember? we've talked about this, princess."