Chapter Fifty-Two

In the second set of kicks, I manage to corner the skewed man.

​"Pedang! Swords!" The shout rolls through the line.​

​He raises his costume sword in silence, and I respond. When the blades clash, my teeth jar, and I have to hold the blade with all my strength to keep from getting unbalanced. The second strike, and my blade clatters from my hand entirely.

​Those aren't costume swords he's holding.

​They're real.

​I can't let him reach Harto.

​Dumfounded, I'm left weaponless in front of this outsider, this infiltrator to the kraton, a traitor in our costumed dance.

​No longer able to keep the ruse, I perform what seems like the next, most sensible action.

​I scream, "murderer!"

​But the court can hardly hear me over the music. Some courtiers nearby clap, idly believing I'm a bit too enthused about my dancing role.

​"No, this isn't a part of the performance—." But I can't say anymore as the intruder swings at me. I leap back, the tip of the weapon nearly missing my stomach.

​Heart thrumming, I swallow my frustration and choose to fight instead. If no one will help me, I'll help myself.

​The next time the intruder stabs forwards, I dodge around so I can grip his forearm.

Screaming, I pull him past me. Unbalanced as he is, he staggers forwards, and I kick the back of his legs. His limbs shake, but he refuses to fall. He spins around, his real blade focused on hacking me to pieces.

​I pluck another costume sword from a tired-looking dancer. Ignoring their squeals of protest, I raise my false blade just in time to block a swing to my face.

​The costume blade breaks again, but this time, I'm ready. I take the broken shard and swing around to the other side. As the intruder moves forwards from the attack, I use his own movement against him, making it easier to plunge the broken part of the blade into his shoulder. He screams, giving me enough time to draw Ode's dagger and hold it against his neck.

​I grab at his sword arm, squeezing his wrist until it cracks.

​The rest of the dancers move away, finally coming to their senses at the sight of blood. The guards join me, forming a circle around the intruder.

​Then I realize...

​I'm still wearing a mask, and they're also pointing their blades at me.
***

Hello Readers!

So I'm traveling today. I still send love and support.

Sophia