Chapter Sixty-Four

"Arni..." Harto takes me by the hand, his touch like a moth's, afraid of being burned by the flame that entices it. We step further into the thick array of jasmines and moon flowers, the corpse flower enclosed, the other scents of beauty and fragrance almost like a drug.

"I think I know what you're going to say."

The truth? I'm not entirely sure, but by the way my heart is beating, I'm fearful that I'm right. I stand straighter anyways. If a golem couldn't take me down, neither would this.

"Now that the messenger's returned with the failed news..." He begins.

I wring my hands behind my back, already feeling the ghost of the executioner's axe. "Then I'll have to swallow my words and take the fall for it."

Harto's brow furrows in confusion. "What?"

"Yes." I plow forwards, the situation wholly surreal. "Go ahead and cut off my head." I laugh, the sound dark, carrying through the thick perfume of the garden. "I deserve it for failing this miserably as a hero."

He shakes his head so hard that his hair falls loose from his bun. His face gleams with sweat in the warmness of the evening that blackened to night. I'm no stranger to perspiring either. It might have been hot in the deserts of Rahasia, but this was a damp heat, and it felt heavier. "No, my darling," I cringe. The words sound so rehearsed to me. Unnatural, like they're meant for some swooning gentlewoman. Not me. "Arnina, I'm asking you to marry me to avoid that fate entirely."

Now it's my turn to furrow my brow in shock, my hands sweating and slipping as he takes mine into his. I miss my blade. I miss bloodshed and war and fighting golems.

It made so much more sense than this.

I was sure hundreds of Jiwanese maidens would've killed me for this opportunity, not that they'd be able to directly. Poison maybe, or perhaps a strangling...

Goodness, no, I shake my head to focus, I'm going insane. He couldn't have possibly just said what I believe he said.

"What?" I ask, the word barely croaking out of me.

"Yes." He leans forwards, "may I kiss you?"

"Wait," he pauses with his lips inches from mine. He backs away at the stressed-out look on my face, the pursed lips and dead-eyed stare. I probably scared him, and that's okay. "You're asking for a political alliance?"

"You're beautiful, intelligent, and brave as can be." He remarks, the words hardly a whisper, could be mistaken for the wind. "I want to free you from the situation you've been imprisoned in. As my wife, you could do whatever you want. You could travel freely between Rahasia and Jiwa. I know you wouldn't want to follow the traditional king and sub-powered queen rule. So, I'd make you my equal. Like two monarchs ruling the same throne. And our marriage would show your true ally-ship to my people. No executions either!"

"I..." I open and shut my mouth a couple times. "I'm sorry?"

He shakes his head, adamant. His eyes, they reflect the moonlight so nicely. The slope of his shoulders, the proud cheekbones and strong, royal chin. Strength of a nation inside one man's body, almost a deity with his soul committed as it is. "No, I'm sorry." He gets on one knee. "Let me make up for it." He holds a box fashioned from gold, bearing similar golden jewelry inlaid with precious stones, like vines in a garden, the jewels set into flower petals. Necklaces, earrings, a shining ring. "Let me worship you, princess."

Gods, he's smooth. I smile, thin as a fish through a river, how many would fall at his mere voice? How many would cut out their hearts for him?

"I'm sorry." I repeat. "I'll have to think about this decision." I ponder this reply for a bit, watching his face fall by the second. "It's a particularly large commitment."

"Yes." He bows, shutting the box and pocketing it like nothing. "Of course." He grins again. I lean forwards and kiss his cheek goodnight. His smile grows.

Perhaps I shouldn't have done that.

Or much of anything considering how it's all spiraling out of my control.

***

Readers,

Um...

Royal Wedding circa year- Ancient-Fantastical-History?

-Sophia