Chapter Fifty-Eight

"So, why are we suddenly trying to assimilate into Jiwanese life again?" Zahra huffs as we walk up the seemingly endless stone staircase cut into the cliff. The temple of the old gods still stands, granted some figureheads have been carved out of the rock and sold by more enterprising citizens. But the temple stands relatively whole, in all its beauteous glory. "Don't tell me that you actually want to stay here. With him." She stares at me, aghast.

"He's making amends." I try to tell him. "And his family is nice, even if he's a spoiled child at times."

She exhales, huffing a bit as we struggle to climb up another steep incline. The jungle this away as we seem to ascend into the heavens themselves. "Yes, but he still imprisoned you here. Trading your place for Boaz."

"Well, then I at least succeeded in saving one person." I think back to the debacle in Raja, Ratu and her followers, and the curiosity on little Malala's face, daughter of Tawil and Dasha.

Zahra pauses, forcing me to turn around to face her. We're both breathing hard at this point. Even the air seems thinner the farther we climb. Maybe we really are entering another world. The temple of Jiwanese gods. Entirely new territory to us. "Don't do this, amira."

I blink at her, staring into her gleaming clay eyes, so full of sincerity it looks painful. The tug at the edge of her lips, the frown. Her cropped hair, shaved military style. From her height far above me, she stares down. Anchoring me to the earth, even as we climb so far above it. A tree. A mountain. That is the essence of Zahra.

My Zahra.

"Do what?" I whisper, even as my heart plummets. Even as I reluctantly know the answer.

"Don't ever blame yourself for what happened in the past." She pulls me close to her, pressing my heart to hers. I don't know why my breathing suddenly goes irregular or my heart rate speeds up. I don't know why the cloth at her shoulder is suddenly damp. I don't even realize that those are tears down my face until, stunned, she wipes them away with her fingertips.

"Do you forgive me?" I mutter, "I brought you here. Trapped you here. You're doing this out of duty, aren't you? Sworn to protect me no matter what. Trapped here. Imprisoned."

Zahra shakes her head, grinning. It makes her look less intimidating. Still a warrior, but also one with a heart of golem-forged gold. "With you, I'm always free."

She pulls me closer, her fingers wrapped up in the short waves of my hair. I listen to her heartbeat from my shorter height. Calmed.

Forgiven.

***

Readers,

You're welcome, Zahra shippers.

-Sophia