Chapter Eighty-Two

It made no sense.

Thank you... for freeing me.

And then pain.

I'm back in the healer's infirmary. Despite my semi-coherent objections, the city watch guessed that, somehow, the witch doctor had smuggled me out just to stab me when he feared that the kidnapping wouldn't go through.

It's probably better than the humiliation of being stabbed while trying to rescue someone.

"They're calling it Ode's miracle." Zahra pulls up a stool to my bedside. I'm staring out the window, as I have for the past few hours, replaying Ingatan's betrayal in my mind. "A miracle you discovered his name in time to save yourself."

I wave it away, wincing as the stitches in my side pull. "They can say that it was because of the god of chicken shit for all I care. Let the temple priests have their fun."

Zahra raises an eyebrow at that, running her hand over her shorn hair.

"You shaved your head again?"

She nods, tight-lipped.

I move my fingers lightly over her skull, the wiry fuzz over it. "Look at you. Almost look like a reputable soldier again."

She takes my hand in hers and kisses the palm, tears in her eyes. "Dammit, Arni." She swallows, hard. Her eyes go still, the tears stop. "I really thought you were dead. All they said was you'd been stabbed." She raises her eyes to the ceiling. "Gods, it requires a heart of stone to love you with how often you put yourself into danger."

"Stone? Try bronze." I wink as she dissolves into laughter. I struggle to sit up when I realize it.

I realize what it really means now that I've said Ingatan's name. Thrown him to the wolves for good.

"Wait, the wedding with the sultan..."

Zahra beams at me. "Your fathers made excuses to push it back for being, well, stabbed."

My smile matches hers. "I don't have to marry anyone now. The witch doctor, after his execution, we're all safe! No marriage alliances necessary because there won't be a war."

I pull Zahra, unthinkingly, into a fast embrace. Her heart beats wildly against mine as I breathe her in. The scent of earth and sweat and battle. "You did it, amira. You saved us without lifting a sword."

After our brief celebration, I can hardly keep my eyes open. It infuriates me, how my wound makes me weak. But I'd take another stabbing with how determined I am now.

Ratu. Mawar and her sister. I've saved the Jiwanese citizens here. No war. Peace between Jiwa and Rahasia for now. Just have to sacrifice the witch doctor, and all will be right.

"I'll leave you to sleep. Your fathers assumed that you should get the honor of witnessing the witch doctor's execution with all you've suffered." Zahra makes for the door. "You're lucky you know."

"Why's that?"

She peers back at me just as she shuts the door. "When he stabbed you, he missed every vital organ. The gods must smile upon you."

As she shuts the door, my whole body feels like it sinks into the bed.

Yes, the gods are smiling upon me. Or maybe Ingatan stabbed me non-fatally on purpose.

Oh gods... he gave himself up to keep me for being blamed with the release of a murderer.

The next thought would make me scream in frustration if it wasn't such a struggle to keep my eyes open.

He really is still good underneath.

***

Readers,

Love y'all for the support!

-Sophia