33 | C R E E P I N G

"No no no, it wasn't Crouch", Ember said, sitting in Dumbledore's office the next day and shaking her head wildly. "The curse was coming straight at me. Crouch was behind my back. It couldn't have been Crouch."

   "Can you tell who it was?", Dumbledore asked, his fingers folded as he watched Ember over the edges of his half-moon shaped spectacles.

   "Viktor Krum was blocking the sight first, then I got immediately blinded by the stunning spell." Ember nervously tucked down her sleeves. "So no, I couldn't see anyone."

   Dumbledore fell silent, obviously sunken in thoughts his eyes were still fixed on Ember, but the girl was sure he didn't see her at all.

   "Sir, what do you think did Mr Crouch mean when he — when he said he wanted to warn you?", Ember broke the stillness, and Dumbledore's eyes cleared. "He named Harry. Several times. You don't think Harry is —"

   "I won't lie to you, Ember", Dumbledore said, and never had Ember seen him so stern, "there are things going on I don't understand yet. It's like the solution is right in front of my eyes, but I can't catch it." He sighed. "It is no coincidence that Harry is participating in this tournament, and it for sure wasn't just a child's wit that got him in."

   "Mr. Crouch also mentioned the Dark Lord ..."

   "You want to know if I think it's true that he is getting stronger?" Ember nodded. "Yes, I do. We all had to be blind to not know that  Tom Riddle would do anything  to regain his power. But's a missing link! This thing I can't catch! Why would it help Voldemort to have Harry in the Triwizard Tournament?"

   "To murder him as usual", Ember suggested, being startled by the morbidity of her words and the terrifying fact that they sounded so normal.

   "I would actually agree with you, but I have the feeling that this isn't all."

   The silence was back and Ember shifted in her chair. "You will have an eye on him, won't you?", she said in a quiet voice. "You make sure he'll get through this last task all fine and alive?"

   Dumbledore smiled, and even though his worry couldn't be utterly hidden in his bright blue eyes, Ember felt at least slightly more encouraged.

   "We'll do everything in our might to get every champion safe through this task, Ember", he said. "Even if the past three years might failed to confirm this statement, but Hogwarts is the safest place on earth. Nothing bad will happen inside its borders, I'll personally take care for this."

   Trying not to think about Dementors, Basilisks and three headed dogs, Ember then got up from her chair and was about to leave. She'd already bid Dumbledore goodbye and was on her way to the door, when Dumbledore said, "There isn't anything else you want to tell me, Ember?"

   She froze on spot, her cheeks flushing hot as she stiffened. Mind whirling, she closed her eyes, shoving her memory aside. Ember turned around, well aware that the forced smile on her face was flickering like a candle in a storm, her voice trembling, as she said, "No sir. Nothing."

•••

   "Getting nervous, Potter?"

   "No."

   "Have you told it your face?"

   "Actually", Ember said, not lowering the speed of her steps as he caught up with her easily, "this is the expression of pure disgust I wear whenever you're around."

   "Adorable", Draco Malfoy dryly replied. "Where are you going? Saving your brother's sad arse by teaching him all your little charms he's too stupid for?"

   Ember angryly blew her nostrils and stopped walking in the middle of the hallway, ignoring the protests of the other students streaming to the Great Hall for dinner.

   "You remember that out of the last three times you decided to go on my nerves, at least one wasn't ending well for you?", she hissed with narrowed eyes at him.

   "You know you're the only one getting away with it just like that?", he cackled, his icy blue eyes sparkling.

   "Me? Don't get me wrong, I wish it had been me breaking every bone in your body", Ember said with a joyless laughter, "but the honour is Ron's."

   "Your filthy lover doesn't have anything even close to such as honour", Malfoy scoffed, his arrogant grin widening as he watched Ember's cheeks flushing softly pink.

   "Fine, let's stop this extraordinary little talk and you finally tell me what you want?", she growled. "Because I'm hungry and my friends are already waiting for me. Of course you don't know the importance of this, as you don't have friends, do you?"

   "There are rumours", Malfoy said, every sign of a grin washed from his face, "about the night you found Crouch. It's said he warned you."

   Ember furrowed her eyebrows. "There are also rumours that your hair is bleached", she coldly replied. "But nobody cares."

   "Funny, Potter, really", he replied, looking unimpressed. "But unlike to the rumours about you, them about my hair won't affect your mudblood and bloodtraitor friends. So is it true? He warned you about him?"

   "How —"

   "I know a lot more than you could even imagine, Potter." A crooked smile played on his lips. "He mentioned something else, did he?" Against her will, her eyes grew large. "Something that scares you."

   The dungeon corridor had emptied by now, but Ember wouldn't have cared if it didn't. Before Malfoy could react, she had pushed him against the wall with all the force she could afford, her wand raised and pointed at his face. It was impossible — impossible — that there were any rumours about this.

   "Rumours, huh?", she whispered in a hiss. "What do you know?"

   "As I said, a lot more than you could imagine", he snorted. "But seeing the fear in your eyes, I guess you already imagine a lot. Why don't you ask the great Dumbledore?"

   "Draco Malfoy, don't taste my waters if you don't know how to swim", she replied, her voice not more than a breath. "What. Do. You. Know?"

   "You already feel it, don't you?", he whispered. "You feel it right now, huh? I can see it in your eyes, Potter."

   Breathing heavy, the wand twitched in her fingers. She did feel it. "Don't dare me, Malfoy ..."

   "You better get used to it", he plainly said, completely ignoring the wand infront of his face. "Because when it comes down to it, there's only one chance to save you."