31 | G O N E

  "SIRIUS!"

  "SIRIUS!"

   His voice was piercing into Ember's ears, burning her alive.

   Harry had reached the floor, his breath coming in searing gasps. Sirius must be just behind the curtain,  Harry, would pull him back out.
But as he reached the ground and sprinted towards the dais, Remus grabbed Harry around the chest, holding him back. 

    "There's nothing you can do, Harry —"

   "Get him, save him, he's only just gone through!"

   "— it's too late, Harry."

   "We can still reach him —" Harry struggled hard and viciously, but Lupin would not let go.

   "There's nothing you can do, Harry ... nothing ... he's gone."

   Gone ...

   Something inside Ember seemed to explode. She felt it as an icy wave tossing through her vains, spreading through her body, reaching the tiniest fibres of her limbs. Harry's screams wandered in the background, a whirring sound filled her ears, like the buzz of a million angry bees. All of a sudden, Ember came to the realisation that she was no longer made of substance; but something more like a shadow ...

   Nobody took note of her; Dumbledore had most of the remaining Death Eaters grouped in the middle of the room, seemingly immobilised by invisible ropes; Mad-Eye Moody had crawled across the room to where Tonks lay, and was attempting to revive her; behind the dais there were still flashes of light, grunts and cries — Kingsley had run forward to continue Sirius's duel with Bellatrix. 

   There was a loud bang and a yell from behind the dais. Vision rimmed black, Ember saw Kingsley hit the ground yelling in pain. Bellatrix Lestrange turned tail and ran as Dumbledore whipped around. He aimed a spell at her but she deflected it; she was halfway up the steps now —

   "Harry — no!", cried Remus, but Harry had already ripped his arm from the slackened grip. 

   "SHE KILLED SIRIUS!", bellowed Harry. "SHE KILLED HIM — I'LL KILL HER!"

   And he was off, scrambling up the stone benches; people were shouting behind him but he did not seem to care.