06 | B A C K

because the things
              that make you strange
are the things                               
that make you powerful.

because the things               that make you strangeare the things                                that make you powerful

   "TOOK YOU A while." The door behind Ember glided into its lock and the noises outside faded into muffled sounds. With a flick of her wand the jalousie hanging down the small window in the compartment door closed, then she pointed the thin wood in her fingers at the blonde boy sitting in his seat, all dressed in black, blue eyes rimmed by dark shadows.

   "Explain", she said, her voice sounding calm, while her insides were twisting and turning.

   "I know what you think", he lazily replied, not even paying attention to the weapon in the girl's barely noticeable shaking hand. "It wasn't a trap. It was a risk right from the first letter you wrote me, and I guess you were pretty much aware of that all along." He stared her deadpanned in the face. "Take that thing down and calm your nerves. We don't want your inner beast to grow hungry, do we?"

   Pursing her lips, Ember sat down on the seat across from Malfoy, her Wand lowered, but still a tightened grip around it. "What do you know?", she asked.

   "Not more than my father probably told you." He leaned back into his seat, seemingly enjoying her miserable situation. "So what did he want from you? Spying on Dumbledore? Murdering your sad excuse of a brother?"

   "No, he — he wants me to stay away from Harry."

   Draco cocked an eyebrow. "Where's the sense in that?"

   "That's what I wanted to ask you ..."

   "Doesn't make much sense if you ask me. I mean, you're kind of a super-weapon. I would definitely use you." He snorted a joyless laugh. "But fine, we need to get your sorry arse out of that. And you are a happy, fluffy badger today, because I was given an order as well."

   "What order of yours could make me happy?", she asked, and now it were her eyebrows shooting up high her forehead.

   "I was told to have an eye on you", he replied. "Make sure you are behaving. Give reports about your qualities." He winked at her and Ember furrowed her eyebrows. "We will spend a lot of time together, little Potter. If you're a nice girl, I'll help you. Tell them you're doing what you've been told. If not, I might let slip that you've been naughty."

   "That's not funny, it's —"

   "— about your brother's life?", he said, his voice now icy cold, every sign of a smile, neither true or false, had been wiped from his face. "Here comes the news, Potter: it's about yours as well. And about mine. What do you think will happen to me if the Dark Lord will catch me lying?"

   She hadn't seen it like that for even the split of a second. Blinking, Ember looked into his eyes. "Why are you doing this?" 

   "Well, there's just a tiny chance to get out of this whole story alive", he replied. "And this chance is you."