30 | B E T R A Y A L

you brought the flames
& you put me through hell.

   HEART HAMMERING AGAINST her ribcage, Ember found herself struggling against the fist that had burried into her raven black hair; the only thing that kept her from falling to the ground

   HEART HAMMERING AGAINST her ribcage, Ember found herself struggling against the fist that had burried into her raven black hair; the only thing that kept her from falling to the ground. Her knees against the floor spread a throbbing pain through her legs, but it was nothing against the feeling of a hundred knifes cutting open every inch of her skin that the Cruciatus Curse had left lingering on her.

   "Don't give it to them!", she pressed through gritted teeth, followed by a cry, as the fist jolted up her hair.

   She couldn't see him, but did she feel his eyes on her, and so did she feel his guard crumble, exactly knowing that Harry was dying to see her like that.

   "Of course you could listen to her", Lucius Malfoy snarled just like his son  used to. "See, we could finish her off, and then go for the rest of your little friends. Or" — he pulled Ember's head further back, so she had to look up at him — "you give us the prophecy, and we let all of you walk out of here, as if nothing ever had happened. Depends on you, Harry."

   "I hope you don't believe this slimy wanker even a single word, Harry!" Ember glared up at the blonde man, who amusedly glanced back at her. "Filthy liar! As if you'd let Harry walk out of here just like that!"

   "Talking about lies, my fiery little girl", Lucius replied in a sugary voice. "I must admit I'm pretty stunned by how quick you chose your side. The Dark Lord didn't have thought it would be that easy to get Harry into this department. He was almost sure, you'd warn him. Almost."

    "I did warn him!"

    "So you told him about the Dark Lord's ability to manipulate your brother's mind?"

   Silence fell and Ember felt her skin grow cold. She wanted to look at Harry, but Lucius' fingers were still entangled in her hair, holding her captured in this uncomfortable position.

   "I see." Lucius sighed. "Poor Harry. Betrayed by his own sister. That must feel awful. I can't imagine the pain."

   "Emmie?"

   Hearing the sound of Harry's voice was hurting her more than even the Cruciatus Curse could do. It wasn't a question. It was a plead.

   "Okay, enough games and fun", Bellatrix snapped, and out of the corner of her eye, Ember could see the crooked formed wand pointed at her. "Did you know there are worse things in this life than death, Potter?", she asked Harry. "Maybe we ask Longbottom about this."

   Neville, who was held by Dolohow and Bellatrix' husband Rudolphus, gave a husky growl, which was immediately muffled.

   "To be honest, I like it better that way", Bellatrix said. "So let's play one of my games: You'll hand us the prophecy, or we'll see how long it'll take dear Ember to lose her adorable dark mind."

   "Harry, don't — Harry, listen to me! They won't harm me — whatever you do, don't give — AAAAAAAAAARGH!" The knives stabbed back into her skin, set her bones on fire, ripped out her insides; Ember's throat felt like it was about to rip open, her head close to explode —

   "STOP IT!"

   The pain left, leaving a numb throbbing pulsing through every tiny muscle of her body. She was no longer held by Lucius Malfoy. Half of her face was pressed against the floor, and Ember closed her eyes to stop the room from spinning way too fast.

   "Don't —", she caughed, but a kick in the ribs had her shut her mouth and groan in pain, lips tightly pressed together to not scream.

   "Last chance, Potter", Bellatrix hissed. "Next time I won't stop until her brain is spilling on the floor in nothing left but a thick, grey soup."

   "Fine — fine, you can have it", Ember heard Harry say through the bloodrush thundering in her ears. "Just let her go!"

   Being grabbed by her hair and pulled to her feet once more, Ember clenched her jaw. She didn't see clear, the world around her was drenched in a blur.

   "Tsk, tsk", she could hear Lucius say, "little Potter girl, aren't you a shame? Willingly selling your brother's fate to the Dark Lord, and now look at him: still up to save you, no matter what." He leaned closer, whispering into her ear, "You'll be a wonderful Death Eater."

   "I'll never be like you filthy cowards!"

   Lucius just shook his head in amusement, then turning to Harry. "The prophecy, Potter. Now!"

   Harry did not have to think; there was no choice. The prophecy was hot with the heat of his clutching hand as he held it out. Malfoy jumped forwards to take it, letting go of Ember. Then, high above them, two more doors burst open and five more people sprinted into the room: Sirius, Lupin, Moody, Tonks and Kingsley.

 Malfoy turned, and raised his wand, but Tonks had already sent a Stunning Spell right at him. Harry did not wait to see whether it had made contact, but dived off the dais out of the way. The Death Eaters were completely distracted by the appearance of the members of the Order, who were now raining spells down upon them as they jumped from step to step towards the sunken floor. Through the darting bodies, the flashes of light, Harry could see Ember crawling along. He dodged another jet of red light and flung himself flat on the ground to reach her. 

   "Are you okay?", he yelled, as another spell soared inches over their heads.

    "I — yes, yes I'm fine", she stammered, still trembling in her pale skin. "Harry, I'm s—"

   "Bad timing", he called, as suddenly the stone floor between them exploded as a spell hit it, leaving a crater right where Ember's head had been only seconds before; both scrambled away from the spot, then a thick arm came out of nowhere, seized Harry around the neck and pulled him upright, so that his toes were barely touching the floor. 

   "STUPEFY!"

   "Thanks", Harry said to Ember, pulling her aside as Sirius and his Death Eater lurched past, duelling so fiercely that their wands were blurs. "Okay, let's get you out of here."

—