19 | G U I D E

lights will guide you home;
and I'll try to fix you.

   WITH CHRISTMAS COMING closer, usually life at Hogwarts grew to the maximum of peacefulness

   WITH CHRISTMAS COMING closer, usually life at Hogwarts grew to the maximum of peacefulness. Snow silently fell to the ground, while the fires kept the whole castle warm and cosy, a smell of cinnamon and cookies filling the corridors, and everything was just happiness and comfort.

   Unnecessary to say that this year was a whole different story. Not only Professor Umbridge was giving them the sweetest Christmas hell, also the other teachers didn't even think about peace and joy and happiness. The closer the holidays got, the bigger the student's pile of homework grew, and with the DA and Quidditch practice both at least once a week, Ember had no idea how she would ever get them done.

   The only one sharing her misery was Ron. So it was Ember and him spending all their spare time together in the library, bowed deeply into thick books, hands cramping from relentlessly having the quill moving over what seemed like eternal rolls of parchment. It turned out that Ron was really good with Charms — what he mostly owed to 'drill instructor' Hermione, as he told Ember — and even if Ember wasn't that bad herself, Ron turned out as a great aid for her own homework.

   Often they stayed so long in the library that Madame Pince had to chase them out close to curfew every night.

   "Old hag", Ron muttered with furrowed eyebrows after Madame Pince had screamed bloddy murder when she noticed that the two students hadn't made it out in time. She took ten points each from Gryffindor and Hufflepuff, before flicking her wand, having Ember and Ron being hit in their backs as they hounded them out of the holy halls of Madame Pince's bookshelves. "She's spending to much time in there, I tell you! Should go out sometimes, let herself go a bit."

   "The imagination alone is grotesque, Ronald." Ember scoffed, surpressing a smirk as she still rubbed her shoulder where one of the mad books had hit her five minutes ago. "I swear this'll get bruised ..."

   "Tomorrow same time?", Ron asked as they reached the staircase, where their ways were about to part.

   Ember shook her head. "Nah, sorry, Heidi set up Quidditch practice for tomorrow straight after dinner. Because she is the real drill instructor!"

   "Have you met Angelina yet?", Ron snorted. "Seems like Wood has somehow possessed her. That woman is mad, I tell you! Don't know why Fred's so keen on her!"

   "Wh— wait, Fred and Angelina?", Ember stuttered, her shoulders stiffening. "But I thought — aren't they just friends?"

   "Don't know, don't care." Ron shrugged. "They're hanging out a lot lately. Wouldn't wonder anyways. They're all lovesick lately, haven't you noticed? Ginny and this Corner prat, Hermione constantly writing Krum, Harry having these pathetic moments with Cho Chang—"