+ PROLOGUE | SUMMER GETAWAY

PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

summer getaway

•·················•·················•

"SIENNA, YOU BETTER be packed and ready, because we're leaving like... now!" my mother called up the stairs as I flew from my walk in closet to my bed in a last minute frenzy.

It was an annual occurrence that I saved packing until the last possible second. Procrastination had always been my best facet.

Despite the hasty nature of my suitcase and attire, I was more than ready to get down to my family's beach house for the summer. It was the part of the year I looked forward to-who wouldn't love laying out on the beach for hours and eating dinner by the waterfront?

I spewed out a breathless gimme five minutes I'm sorry before running over my mental list to make sure I had everything.

You'd think by now I'd have it down-after all, we'd been vacationing at the same place since I was five.

My caramel hair cascaded down my back in untamed curls, and I stood staring into the haphazard mess that was my suitcase.

In a last minute decision, I threw in an extra sundress for good measure. You never know what you'll need on vacation, and that was evident in my clearly overpacked suitcase.

The sight of the red Louis Vuitton suitcase herniating would most definitely give my mother a heart attack, and I was grateful that I could be a pleasant addition to her daily life.

My freshly painted red fingernails pushed a pair of Ray-Ban rose-gold reflective sunglasses into my hair to hold it back before zipping up my suitcase with a considerable amount of effort.

I tossed the latest issue of Vogue into my matching red tote, along with a pair of headphones, a bottle of water, and three tubes of chapstick because God knows I needed more than one.

Hidden in my suitcase were five water bottles filled with cherry vodka, and the last remnants of my liver.

After this summer, I'd be kissing it goodbye.

Checking off my twenty different pairs of swimsuits in my mental list, I decided that anything else I forgot could be bought at the Cove.

That's what we called it, anyway. To any new vacationer or the random tourist that sporadically picked the Cove as their summer spot, the Cove was Paradise Cove Island Resorts, which in all honesty was just a fancy name for a regular old beach resort.

I was dressed in an old oversized cherry red sweatshirt that my mom would most definitely scold me for when I arrived downstairs, and white shorts that could barely be seen under the size of the sweatshirt.