04 | SKINNY DIP

FOUR

FOUR

skinny dip

•·················•·················•

MY LONG LIMBS were lazily sprawled out on a towel, generously coated with tanning oil.

The sun was unapologetic, beating down on the Cove with intensity.

I was vaguely aware of the slight burn I was feeling on my shoulders, but I was too content in the warmth of the sun to care.

My toes dug into the comfortable temperature of the sand, and I lifted the waistband of my crimson bikini to check the difference in skin tone.

The skin underneath was noticeably lighter than the rest of my body, much to my approval.

Today's weather was specifically made for a beach day, I'd like to think. From the few steps I'd taken earlier, the water was considerably warm and the UV index was perfect to bake my skin to a golden crisp.

And that was just what I intended to do.

On either side of me were Giselle and Rosie. Giselle lay serenely on her stomach, softly snoring in a peaceful slumber. Her already deeply bronzed skin glistened under the sun's harsh rays.

I was, at this very moment, jealous at the size of her backside.

Her shape attracted the eyes of all of us—even Rosie kept stealing a few glances at her. The yellow bikini she was wearing left little to the imagination, and I was jealous of the soft curves of her body. Her soft black hair was still in its cornrows from yesterday, and the plaits fell on her shoulders.

My body was toned and flat at the stomach, and my small waist sloped sharply into hips bones that jutted out slightly when I lay on my back.

I had a model body with a perky backside and chest, but it was nothing compared to Giselle's.

I, however, stopped feeling sorry for my body shape a long while ago.

When I turned thirteen, the awkward stick-like nature of my body filled out and the giraffe centered insults turned into envious whispers and stares.

I stifled a giggle at Rosie, who was almost entirely red. I knew she would be feeling a painful burn in a few hours.

She was wearing a gorgeous white one piece, and currently preoccupied with applying more sunscreen to her burning back.

She had more of a dancer's body, thin, graceful and of average height.

Her skin had always been on the paler side, and from what she always said she was content with it. She was usually more preoccupied with strutting around in her bikinis and getting the different vacationers to ogle at her than adding color to her skin.