A Woman of Fashion

A Woman of Fashion

Approaching a turn in the hall of the fabulous Grosamadour Palace of Vasconia, Felicie nearly skidded into a fall as she sprinted down the marble corridor. The indigo, floor length skirt was gathered up in her hands, but still came close to tripping her as she slid gracefully through the turn. Gracefully, until her body hit the wall between the large, pane glass windows. Grunting upon impact, she pushed herself off the wall as she hastily transferred her skirts into only one hand.

With the other, she reached up in an effort to try and fix her auburn curls back into the band that they were quickly escaping from. All the while, she continued to sprint down the empty but brightly lit, ornate halls. The fact that there was no one else around only made her run faster.

She was late.

She had given herself extra time to get ready today, knowing full well that it would take her longer to dress and do her hair and makeup. Still, despite the extra allotted hour, she had barely finished before the ceremony was set to begin.

Running full sprint down the hall, her ears finally perked up at the sound of distant music. It didn't sound like the formalities had begun, which meant she was just in time.

Slowing down to a more reasonable but still fast paced walk, she released the hem of her dress so that she could fix her hair with both hands instead.

Despite the marathon she had raced all the way from the Paladin's Suite, across the Royal Complex courtyard, and through the palace itself, she didn't look any worse for wear. A few curls had escaped the jeweled band, but the effect was more sensual than messy. As soon as she finished adjusting her hair, she smoothed out the skirt of her dress, fixing the sheer shawl that she had resting across her elbows, curling around her back.

Felicie was considered a highly fashionable woman on even the most common of occasions. There was never any expense spared when it came to her wardrobe, either in fabric or jewels, and the result was a fine, high class lady that others simultaneously envied and admired.

The doors to the ceremony hall were shut when she arrived, making her grimace. If she had been on time, they would have been opened and waiting for the guests to file through. Felicie didn't particularly mind being fashionable late normally, but for such an auspicious occasion...

Taking a breath, she placed her hand on the latch and gently pulled down. The white silk glove sparkled in the light that came from the small crack she made, trying to sneak through. She opened the door only as far as necessary, hoping to slide inside unnoticed.

It was a hope that was immediately dashed when, upon peeking through, she saw that the entire hall had turned to look at the door. The people that had gathered, all wearing their finest gowns and suits, had separated into two halves along either wall, leaving a clear and wide path through the grand ballroom. They had been chatting, waiting for the official start of the ceremony. The path they made, however, left it all too obvious that Felicie was opening the door.

Which, of course, completely defeated the purpose of sneaking. And, if she couldn't sneak inside...

Throwing open both doors without apology, Felicie burst inside with a bright smile, arms thrown out as those few that had managed to not see her the first time jumped and turned.

"Morning, my friends!" She called delightedly, waving as she walked forward down the cleared path. "Good morning to you. And to you. And-Oh! My! That dress is beautiful. You must tell me who-Eep!"

A hand suddenly closed around her arm and she was jerked to the side. She found herself grinning into the irritated face of her friend and sister paladin, Sybille. She was one of the highest born ladies here and her expensive gown of the finest, palest pink reflected her wealth with an elegant and unpracticed air. However, the scowl on her face cut through any dreamy sweetness of an illusion the gown could create.