Ambitions of the Casteless

Their whispers flowed around her, sharp as the thorns in a brier patch and just as pointed. For a supposedly polite people, they were making no apparent effort to keep their unapologetically rude words from reaching her ears. Apparently, as an outed casteless, social niceties no longer needed to apply to her. Felicie was the target of all the newest rumors and gossip, and just like the tall tales of her heroic deed, very little of what remained bore any resemblance to the real story of what had happened.

People in Vasconia would never dare speak of her this way. Regardless of her roots, she was still a paladin and that title automatically came with respect and deference. Her history wasn't exactly a secret back home, and it wasn't held against her like this.

And because she wasn't accustomed to it, Felicie was surprised that she actually found herself being affected by what they were saying.

It didn't show. Outwardly, her smile was even larger than it had been before. She sank deep into her fluffheaded persona, letting it become the reality of her existence. She didn't hear what they said, she was too busy obsessing over fashion and parties and fun. If her presence made people uncomfortable, then she derived some sadistic pleasure out of knowing that, if they were making her feel unwelcome, she was doing the same to them in turn.

It wasn't going to last much longer anyway. She would be gone soon.

Because the verbal barbs being tossed her way were actually hurtful, she found herself spending more time with the Vasconians. Andrea was busy protecting them, but Manon didn't mind her company and Ferrant actually seemed happy to be around her more often. He still wasn't going to the parties and events that were held near constantly, but it was nice to spend time with him outside of that.

It was only a couple more days. She was biding her time. The security around Wallis was too tight and, after touring the building with Cy during his questioning, she knew the layout and locations of the guards. She was waiting now for all of her preparations to be complete. Once she made her move, everything would move fast.

However, that was still days away. Which meant she was forced to continue being the focus of everyone's ridicule and ire. They couldn't reject her completely because she was a foreign visitor and still had the queen's favor, but no one had to actually like her.

The latest event was an evening dance being held by the high court. Manon was invited. Felicie had been noticeably left off the guest list. However, since she was Manon's bodyguard, technically, she got to go anywhere the princess went and no one could deny her that.

And the fact that they didn't want her there didn't deter her at all. She was going in spite of that. She was going to enjoy making the evening awkward for all of them, if she didn't ruin it outright. And she was going to do it looking better than all of them.

Felicie wore pretty clothes like armor and, when she walked into the ballroom with Manon, sparkling in a delicate green, Lloegyrian styled gown, she felt all eyes turn on her. It only made her head rise higher as she walked down with the princess, who was on Master Damien's arm yet again.

This should be the last dance. Wallis' trial was starting tomorrow, which meant tonight was her last chance to get to him, break him out of their custody, and ask her own questions. She had already put Andrea on alert. Manon was alerted. All of the soldiers were prepared. The Cacher was ready to fly at any time.

Which only meant that Felicie was trying that much harder to go out on a high note. Her hair was studded with jewels, her skin shimmered, her dress sparkled, and she moved with grace and elegance despite the pain in her healing arm. She didn't care if it fell off afterwards, she was going to move it perfectly tonight.