Gifts From a Foreign Nation

Since Felicie was officially part of the delegation as Manon's guardian, she had been given a room next door to Manon's. It, in fact, connected to hers through a small sitting room that the two of them shared, usually in the mornings when they had breakfast together.

It wasn't an uncomfortable room, despite being smaller than Manon's. Lloegyrian preferences for circles and curves over sharp corners extended from the architecture and into the furniture. The bed was oval shaped, the chairs were rounded like cups, and even the rugs on the floor were circular. If there could be a rounded edge instead a flat one, there always was.

The difference wasn't uncomfortable, but it still made Felicie acutely aware that she was in a completely different country. The rounded windows looking out over domed roofs of the city were easily visible from the ovular window seat. She was served the strong, bitter Lloegyrian tea every morning and had to drown it in cream and sugar to drink it down.

She didn't mind spending the mornings with Manon. Despite her recent training to be a proper princess, she was still fun to talk with and told interesting stories about the days when she spent all her time escaping the palace and gambling in the streets.

They didn't spend much time together outside of that, however. Andrea was the one seeing to her actual protection allowing Felicie to cement her impression in people's minds as a thoughtless high society lady who was more interested in fashion than fighting.

To that end, she actually spent more time with Cy than anyone else. He certainly didn't seem to mind, eagerly going along with whatever whim she could throw at him with full enthusiasm. It started simply, her asking him to show her around the palace and statue garden. Then, she asked him to take her to his favorite clothing shop in the city, to see the Duhg Waterfall at its peak, to spend an entire evening frolicking in a makeup store spending far more gold than would be reasonable for anyone.

Not only did he go along with her, however, he was encouraging the behavior. They both bought new clothes and makeup, they dipped their feet in the Duhg pond, they worked together to drive poor Jachin absolutely mad as he tried to coordinate with Andrea for protecting the foreigners.

No one seemed surprised by his behavior either. Everyone treated Cy like what he was doing was normal and expected. He had to act like this all the time then, confirming her thoughts that he was exactly as silly as she was pretending to be.

As a result, after only a few days playing her role, Felicie's image was firmly planted in everyone's mind. Thanks to Cy's reputation, there was no doubts left in anyone's mind as to her personality. There was only one thing she was waiting for.

Scouts reported that the ship carrying the Gasconian generals was heading their way after Felicie had everyone convinced of her fluffheadedness. They were expected to arrive just past noon, according to a report she received that morning. The bright morning sunlight washed over Felicie as she sipped at her tea in her robe, watching the sky carefully.

With her reputation cemented, the generals arriving, and any potential suspicion of her dismissed, she could finally start gathering information and trying to learn what had happened to Addie.

Her hand tightened on the delicate stem of her teacup in a combination of determination and grief stricken anger.

Felicie had no problems maintaining her carefree and silly facade. However, during quiet times like this when no one was watching her, it was easy to let her worry, fear, and despair take over heart. She could hardly mourn in public, so these quiet moments were all she had.

As the morning sun stroked her face, she stared out into Lloegyr and yearned for her missing sister.

Setting down the teacup before she snapped the handle off, she turned and looked back towards the outfit she and Cy had spent the better part of yesterday planning together.